Video Cameras for Studio 5

Just saw the videos for Studio 5 and completed the pre-order. I was wondering about the cameras that will be compatible with stop-motion.

The video said that that Studio 5 can drive the focus and exposure of the camera and provide a real-time view. Is there a link that lists the cameras that are compatible? I have an Olympus and it doesn’t work very well with Studio 4.5 so I’m considering upgrading the camera, too.

Hi,

The support of camera has just been added to version 5.0, therefore it is normal the camera is not functioning properly with version 4.5 since it never was designed to interface with live feed at the time.

If you camera support DirectShow under Windows or QuickTime/Apple Image Capture for Mac it should be working properly with the software.

Best regards,

Ugo

hi since i havn’t a digital camera is there going to be a reccomended list of camera’s or do we simply buy…try…return until we find one that works?

Ugo, sorry if I wasn’t clear. The codec that camera uses isn’t compatible with TBS4.5, just like with my Logitech camera. I got sound but the picture was black. When I’d brought that up in another thread you recommended checking it with QuickTime. As you predicted, neither worked there either.

Since I don’t have a camera that works with TBS, I am considering buying a new one. It would be nice to know which cameras work since I can’t afford to keep buying cameras until I stumble across one that does.

Mike

exactly…even a minimal listing of compatible cameras woudlk help…
no list is no help at all is it!

i know toon boom 5 is NEW but would really help us people 'hanging’
looking at amazon for cameras…

Hi all,

I’m having a tough time getting Studio 5 working with any of my digital cameras using the File>Aquire>From Capture Device. It refuses to work with my Canon G1 or TX1 (though they work in Apple Image Capture). The program just quits when I choose either of these through Acquire… it sees them but then the spinning beachball of death starts.

The Panasonic GS 400 appears with either a USB or FireWire connection, but there are further problems. With USB, TBS consistently quits after 5 or 6 captures. Since you can’t save while acquiring, this means I’m taking two or three shots, closing Acquire, saving, and opening it back up… unacceptable. With the FireWire connection, capturing is consistent (no crashes) but for some reason each capture comes in PURPLE (although it previews normally). I’m not doing any special keying or anything… just trying to capture a silly stop-motion animation with a wood puppet in the room.

First off, if anyone has any idea as to why my captures are coming in purple, I’d really appreciate it. (Again, the preview looks fine.) If this can be fixed, stop-motion animation will still be viable for me. If not, TBS 5 will be a bust as far as I’m concerned. Aside from pretty icons, there’s no real other reason for it.

Second, from my whole hour of interaction with this feature, I would not recommend just going out and picking up a new camera hoping it will work. I think I’ve done more QA then the company did with this feature, or worse, they ignored their QA department’s pleading that the feature wasn’t ready to ship. Again, I used three different cameras from two different companies with very little success. These cameras, while not the newest, consistently work with either Image Capture (the Canon products) or QuickTime Pro (the Panasonic). Ugo just said by that criteria, they should work with TBS 5, but the feature is behaving like its in the Alpha or Beta stage, as far as I’m concerned. (FWIW, the screenshots in the user manual show a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi in the popup of the capture window, so if you’ve got THAT model, maybe things will work okay. Who knows? Not a lot of troubleshooting tips, except to have your camera on before launching TBS 5.)

Beware!
Tom

specs: PowerMac G5 dual 2 ghz/3.5 gig RAM/OS 10.5.7/QT 7.6.2

Thanks, Tom.

Has anyone had success? What cameras are you using?

I tried capturing with my DV camera today, connected by firewire.

It appears in the menu as "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR."

And I got the following error message: "Cannot open a session on device Microsoft DV Camera and VCR."

Don’t know what to do next. I have yet to try a still camera, but shouldn’t firewire from a video camera work okay?

Okay, I got it to work.

Closed out, installed the AMCAP webcam trial to see if DirectX was working (as recommended in another thread).

AMCAP worked fine.

Closed that, opened TBS5 again and now it works.

Did AMCAP have anything to do with it? Unsure. Maybe I just needed to reset my firewire devices.

I tried using a Canon 5D still camera (original, not the new Mk II) on a PC version of TB5 in UK PAL mode. The camera is listed in the acquire dropdown list but nothing else happens. I was hoping to do some model animation/timelapse work. A Sony Z1E and an old Sony 950 Video Cameras both work in DV mode but the Z1 doesn’t work in HD mode. A Panasonic Lumix digital still camera wasn’t even recognised. Looks like a few fixes are required.

I’ve got two that are not working with TBS5:
* Nikon D70s - this is with Control Pro 2.5
* Olympus Stylus 1020 - this is with Olypus Studio 2.22 (per Olympus, Live View only works with E-Series cameras)

And one that is
* Logitech QuickCam Messenger

maddogmike, did you have to install any other software? Something specific to your make & model camera? The AMCAP webcam trial was just to confirm, right?

Mike

If you are planning to make a new table, then try to use the latest model of wood cutting tools like a circular saw. It’s the best option for you.