z depth on a drawing

Is it possible to have multiple parts of a single drawing have different levels of z depth (I am not talking about just ordering the parts, specifically z depth)?

Is it possibles to have multiple drawings on the same layer have different z depth without using the animate transform tool? (ie say I have a leg and on front view i always want it behind but on side view I always want it on top)

Check this out Raider, is this what you mean?
http://toonboombastic.blogspot.com/2009/02/inside-joe-head-using-axis.html

I watched that a long time ago ;D

But that only applies to symbols and not drawings.

As you know I have decieded to ditch symbols. It is much faster working in general without them.

You can do it with drawings too, to quote Lili “Insert a keyframe for where the Drawing or Symbol is”.

I expanded the layer by clicking the cross on the left hand side of the layer, and entered a new z-depth after I had keyframed the drawings.

I should point out that I’m using Animate Pro though…

You can do that in Animate too. Your using the animate transform tool to do it.

This basically means that when you delete all the drawings to start animating your character you lose all that z depth details and when you do the drawing subsitions you will have to redo the process everytime. So I was looking for a way to make it that way forever(or until i want to adjust it :slight_smile: ).

That is the main downside to using drawings instead of symbols I guess (well at least the first one i have found).

Also it definitly doesn’t answer the second part of the question. I am pretty sure the answer is not possible but I asked in case it was possible.

Pffft, um yeah! I knew that! :-[

I’ll stop trying to help now…

To answer the simple question first, you can only assign z-depth information (like any other keying information) to a layer/drawing element. Meaning, you cannot have keyed z-depth information on different parts of a single drawing. However, you can “Arrange” the strokes on a drawing layer by moving them back and forward. See the menu Drawing > Arrange > Sent to Front, Send Forward, Send Backward, Send to Back.

Now regarding the fact that you’re losing the z-depth information when you want to reuse a drawing, this shouldn’t be the case. What you need to do is create a master rig of your character. Now what’s probably the best to do here in your case is create a master rig for each pose - so have one for front, one for 3/4, one for side, etc. When you’re making these templates, make sure that the structure is the same for all of them. Meaning, if you have a drawing that only shows up on one view but not on the others (like a tie or something), keep this layer on the other rigs, just keep it empty. I’ll explain later why this is a good thing.

Now here’s the key thing: for a master rig, you need to set a keyframe on the first drawing. If you set a keyframe here, later on when you reuse this template, the layer z-depth information will be saved.

To make the creation of the templates easy, then what you can do is set up your drawings like you would when you make a symbol - that is, you have one drawing for each view. So let’s say frame 1 has your front view, frame 2 has your 3/4 view, frame 3 has the side view, etc. Then when you drag and drop from the left hand side, you have all the drawings from all the views. Then you need to drag and drop the whole structure from the left hand side of the template enough times for all of the views that you’re going to need. You’ll have that many copies of the same template now. Now edit each template by right-clicking on it and selecting Edit Template, and then you can delete all the drawings that are not relevant for that view, and move the drawing that is to the first frame and put a key on it. Then make your template one frame long.

So now you have templates for each view, each one only one frame long, each one with a key on the first frame. Now, when you work in your scene, what you’ll do is you’ll drag the template for whichever view you’re interested in onto the right-hand side of the timeline. If the structure of all of the templates is the same, then what’s really great is that you can drag and drop your other views right on top of this same layer structure. So if you want to change views partway through your scene, you just drag and drop that other template on top of the frame you want on the right side of the timeline, and it will copy over it right there. Then you can extend the exposure and keep animating.

I know that was a little long-winded and complicated, so if you need me to clarify further just let me know…

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

I think I understand what you saying. I didn’t realise you could do that.

I will give it a try on a quick example to make sure I understand.