Z depth of particles in relation to other objects moving in Z space

I’ve got a particle animation of snow, using a 3D region with the emitter and the sink. It looks just fine in general. However, I had hoped that if a character moved closer in Z space, then the snow would appear less dense as the character got closer - more falling snow should now be behind instead of in front of the character. In side or top view this looks like was working, but not through the camera. Anything I could try?

You will want to make sure all composite bars (in network) that your character elements use are set to Mode: “Pass through” in their layer properties. The composite bar will become a trapezoid instead of the usual square to indicate pass through is on.

Other than that, I couldn’t say.

Thanks JR for the suggestion. I tried that as best I could figure, but alas, no change, though I understand the logic in what you suggested.

There is a vertical line that can be seen in side view, that runs down the middle of the frame. If my object (character) moves past that line while traveling toward the camera, particles are no longer in front of the object. Everything (that I can think of, pegs, drawing layers, etc.) are set to use 3D space. I drew a blue arrow to that line, and you can see the axis of the peg and the camera cone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2bd198s8whxj1r/ParticleSpace.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo5atbszg3g6vd9/Screenshot%20(8).png?dl=0

I found the info in the manual, and expanded a little on it to add more depth. Add multiple bakers and visualizers with pegs. Change the seed values in the bakers to [not] look like a layer is being just copied. The particle size can be changed easily in the visualizer to exaggerate depth. Easy enough.

The thing is the visualizer flattens out the particles before they go into the final mix (comp). So far adding the extra particle nodes has not created any lags in performance. I’ve had some previous particle setups that just crushed playback while working, but not here.