Yes....I am a moron.

OK, I come from being a long time user of Flash for animation and cannot for the life of me figure out the whole peg for animations thing. I’ve read/watched all the tutorials and help files with no luck. I have a feeling that my brain is so ingrained in the way Flash animates that I’m missing something VERY basic here.
I create an element, then a parent peg for the element but I’m a confused as to how keyframes and manipulation apply to each. When I select the parent peg layer my drawn element disappears (i.e. deselects) so I can’t manipulate it with skew, rotate, etc.
All the tutorials and help files just say "Select the elements parent peg and use the skew, rotate or whatever but when they select the parent peg their drawn element does not disappear like mine does. Again - I think my brain is just missing some basic concept here.
Thanks in advance for any help!

OK, you aren’t a moron -LOL- TBS is just a different metaphore than Flash and you have to understand the differences or at least forget about how things work in Flash because they don’t work that way in TBS.

Flash has a stage and it is always the stage for drawing or for animating. TBS has drawing and scene planning as two seperate modes. In traditional animation production that is like the animators drawing board being the drawing mode and the animation rostrum camera work being the scene planning. (NOTE: Most peg analogies relate to the movements of registration peg bars and an animation stand compound table.) Pegs only work in scene planning, so if you are in drawing mode and select a peg your drawing element will disappear. So to use pegs with drawing elements you need to switch to scene planning mode.

If you must relate it to Flash, then drawing mode is sort of the same as editing inside of a symbol and scene planning is working with symbol instances on the main Flash stage.

Keyframes are also conceptually different in TBS from Flash.
I think you would benefit from reading these FAQ pages which are written from a Flash user converting to TBS perspective. -JK

JK, thanks for the help and excellent Flash/Toonboom analogy - it helps me wrap my head around toonboom’s logic a bit more.
However, I’m still having trouble. Here’s my situation: I draw something very basic like a circle with the intention of moving it from the left to the right just so I can get a feel for this whole peg thing. I give that circle element a parent peg (my circle element is indented underneath) and select a “scene planning” tool. Is there some way I’m missing to go into “Scene Planning Mode”? Because when I select a scene planning tool and the parent peg is selected my child element disappears (my drawn ‘circle’ element goes away unless I click back on the circle layer itself). I also find it strange that no matter which scene planning tool I have selected, select, rotate, scale, etc., I can draw directly on my drawn element layer (the circle) even though these scene planning tools - don’t indicate that they have any drawing capability. Sorry for being so bass-ackwards on this!!

I can relate to where some of the confusion is coming from.

You can switch to Peg-only mode, which selects and effects only pegs, not drawing or other elements. Keyboard shortcut is M. This may help to work only with the movements you’re trying to create.

When animating with pegs, keep your eye on the timeline. If you manage to select the whole peg, that is, the all frames of it in the timeline, you’ll be moving the whole thing, not just the peg at that point in time. I have this trouble all the time, and I’ll select away from the element and then try to choose just the keyframe I’m working with. And you have to have a keyframe for change or motion to occur.

I like to use the Function Editor. This lets me choose exactly the frame and kind of motion I want. You can actually use Peg-only mode along with the Function Editor, selecting the pegged element on the stage (which selects its peg), then making adjustments to get the motion you want in the Function Editor. For me, the hardest thing to remember is that keyframes in the function editor are motion specific, so the keyframes I create for Motion Path don’t put keyframes for Rotation.

Hope that helps, and that I didn’t simply cloud the issue for you.

Lots of good explanation here.

jbarker, we have a few video tutorials that might help you get started. You should look at the feature page, there are 5 demo movies of the basics (included scene planning).

Also the cut out animation video will help you fo the more advanced stuff.

Please note that it’s not only in the function editor that the keyframes are independent.

In the timeline, a keyframe has 3 layers. The center square dot is the motion keyframe, the top layer is the rotation keyframe and the lower line is the scaling keyframe. When ever you add/remove a keyframe with the transform tool or the select scene operator, it will add a keyframe for all transformations. If you use the scaling or rotation tool, it will add only the related keyframe.

Cheers,

Sorry I wasn’t more complete in my answer about how to switch modes. There are two really easy ways :
(1) use the menu command Window>Hide Drawing View
(2) On the upper right side of the drawing window there is a verticle row of icon button: drawing view, scene planning, side view and top view. When the drawing window is in scene planning it will be labeled at the top as “camera view”. You just click on the desired icon to switch views.

Keep asking questions as you go we will gladly help as much as we can. -JK