Wondering if TBS v4 has these...

1] When I use an element for the Light Table, I drag the cell of the element to the bottom of the Element window. Once there, it’s visible for all elements for the current scene. When I close the TB project or quit TBS and, later on, reopen that project in TB, I have to re-do all the steps to get a specific cell to be on the light table.

2] Every time I reopen a project, I have to re-select the color palette I was using in the prior session

* Will TBS v4 have some feature that allows for a project to have the state of the palette and lighttable preserved across sessions?

Just thought I’d re-focus on the upcoming TBS 4 ( and I am impressed with Digital Pro, but am just poking around with it right now).

Great question, I don’t expect that the last state of the static light table or the last selected color pallet will be saved between sessions. That might be a nice enhancement for the next update wish list. But you never know because the development team is not finished locking down the final release so perhaps they can add that feature, but it is the first time I can recall anyone asking for that. I have been trying to get the pen definitions to be importable and exportable like color pallets and so far that hasn’t made it to the development implementation list. But it never hurts to ask because a lot of this updates enhancements came directly from wish list requests after V3.5 was released. -JK

What I did with this suggestion is to figure out what I’m spending the most time doing and how it can be reduced. Having the static lighttable settings be persistent across sessions would be a big time-saver for me.

So would having the Pen palette be importable. Or having the Pen palette be independent of the currently open document. That’s the way TVPaint works, in fact it’ll even keep the current tools and settings that I have (pen, eraser and color) across sessions. Granted TVP is a raster program and TBS is a Vector proggie, but the principle is the same – having the tools/settings persistent across sessions saves time and allows us creatives to get into our work quicker without initial fiddling about with settings and such.

It’s all about teh workflow!

I totally agree with you Mike, improving the work flow is significant. I’m not sure that I agree that the specifics of what you are targeting are big time savers. I suppose it depends on individual techniques. The starting and stopping of work sessions for some people might be very frequent while for others they might be very infrequent.

To my way of thinking the things that more significantly effect work flow are things that are highly repetitive. I’ll give you some examples of the types of things I’m referring to here.

Tool swapping is big example. I love the ease of swapping tools in TBS using the number keys. Unfortunately some tools that are logically used in frequent combinations are also “stacked” on the tool bar and therefore cumbersome to use together. For example the paint tool and the stroke tool. When I’m painting and doing toon-shading I use these two tools together and it is really slow having to switch between them. I had to use up hot keys to address a work around so that I could switch between them more easily. But I’m looking forward to V4 because I understand that there is a new feature called Line to Strokes which allows you to draw strokes with the line tools this will mean that I can paint and toon shade with strokes without having to use the stroke tool. This is a significant work flow time savings. Another big time saver has to do with panel swapping. I move between the pen, color, and cell panels a lot and having them stacked on a single properties panel makes this easy but not as easy as if they were separate panels all concurrently visible on the desk top. Again I’m looking forward to V4 customized work spaces where I understand that these panels can be separated and rearranged to suit my personal layout.

I know from previous updates of TBS that the development team looks for ways to enhance the work flow addressing high repetition steps. A good example that I hope will make it into the V4 final release is the ability to copy and duplicate a cell with a single keystroke, similar to the F6 keystroke in Flash. Currently in TBS this takes three individual actions which can be reduced to one action. We will just have to wait and see if this time saver makes it through development. But again there are limits to what improvements and how many improvements can be added to any new release. Each improvement takes significant time to design, code and test and there are always negative consequences to be considered. Sometimes what seems like a good change can unexpectedly cause problems. People are still having trouble adjusting to the changes to the scene planning select tool made in V3.5. But the important point here is that Mathieu and his product team are very tuned in to work flow enhancements as well as adding new features that extend the products creative aspects. -JK

I’m with you on these, JK.

In TVP, you can have a drawing/cell’s exposure extended much like how we can in TBS. When you have a frame selected inbeween drawings and you begin drawing, TVP will automagically create a new cell and you can begin drawing/modifying. So I have a drawing on frame 10 and have extended it’s exposure to frame 30. I go to frame 20 and begin drawing, A new cell is created at frame 20 and its exposure goes to frame 30. This is a big help for me to create Breakdowns and work with timing in a very quick way. There’s no need for keystrokes for this to happen, just the artist knowing where he/she is in the timeline and the program “knowing” that if the drawing tool is used on an exposure frame to automatically create a copy of the original cell on the frame that’s being drawn upon. The downside is that to alter an existing cell, you have to go to the cell itself and not work on exposure cells.

Now I’m just throwing ideas out and seeing what sticks to the wall, so to speak. But I figure that I have a “fresh” set of eyes for the time being, being so new to TBS, so when a seasoned user like you and a noob like me agree on interfacial things, then I think that it’s something that should be addressed in due time.

later,

m!ke

(BTW, doesn’t interfacial sound sorta naughty?
:stuck_out_tongue: )

That’s news to me, & great news at that! One thing I’ve found bothersome with the stroke tool is that the pen settings don’t seem to apply (mainly smoothness that concerns me) When I am stroking away on a paint job (sorry, couldn’t resist) I often want to keep the same smoothness as I would have if I made the same stroke with the brush/pencil tool. If I have a low smoothness setting it’s not usually a big deal, but once you get to higher smoothness, it is very hard to recreate with the stroke tool, at least for my shaky hand :slight_smile:
I’m assuming here that the “line to stroke” feature will allow the newly created stroke to retain the smoothness of the original line. If that’s correct then I can hardly wait, if I’m wrong in assuming that, please let me know.
Thanks,
Pat

Pat,
I think that this is a “safe” bet as the tools are the same and the only difference is in the visibility of the lines created. But of course we will all have to patiently wait and see. -JK

JK-- in my TBS work today, I found that if the exposure for an element is extended enough (like to the projected end of the scene) and if you go to an frame, you can choose “Duplicate Drawing” from the right-click menu. I then mapped this command to command-equals on the keyboard (not the number pad). Now when I’m timing things out and realize I need a new drawing/tween I just hit that key combo and I have a copy of the drawing, in the frame I need it to be – and this “Duplicate Drawing” command just inserts the new drawing where you are in the timeline/Xsheet and sets the exposure for the balance of the drawing you made a copy of.

IOW, If you have an exposure of 30 frames for a drawing, and you Dupe Drawing on frame 15-- the dupe is on frame 15 and its exposure lasts till frame 30, while the original drawing’s exposure lasts until frame 14.

Aside from not being able to dupe a drawing in an frame that doesn’t have exposure set, this works pretty much the way F6 works in Flash. At least the way I use F6.

Is this what you meant by “Three actions that can be reduced to one”?

What makes TBS such an animator friendly software is things like you just described. You can use the duplicate cell function exactly as you described an it is a very effective technique. You also can create a cell, hit “R” to extend that cell one frame, move the frame slider to the extended frame, and then hit “Y” (my personal hot key for duplicate cell) and you have a new unique copy of the original cell. That’s three steps and it works just fine but it could be done in one step which hopefully is an enhancement we will see sooner rather than later. I don’t have time tonight to talk about some other short cut steps to cells and timing but TBS has several other techniques that it supports that are great for traditional animators. This technique is best for straight ahead work but there are equally good ways to do pose to pose as well. I’ll save that for a future tutorial. -JK