widescreen

hello I want to put my movies on dvd and i want the best picture quality to play backon my tv what should I do because i want to make my movie widescreen as well how would I accomplish these things.
Thanks

Hi Gridiron. I touched on this subject in another post - it is not much but it may be of some use to you?
I will link it here. It is in the Drawing view section under the heading “Grid aspect ratio”

hi guys,
setting the camera size in main menu’s:
file > animation properties
to your proper values (ntsc would be 854 x 480 or 960 x 540 for computer display square pixels) would determine the active grid area.
this area can be then seen in the camera preview.

usually for a pal 16:9 (we have pal in europe) using a #12 grid, three fields from the top and three from the bottom are to be left out → for a pal 16:9 as a (rectangular pixels) video resolution 720 x 576 one needs 1024 x 576 square pixels of the computer graphics.
cheers,
rob

In V3.5 I have included all kinds of presets for projects and wide screen SD (anamorphic NTSC) is available from the selection.

When you choose this option it will set the camera size and frame rate properly.

In this case, assuming you are going for NTSC tv use what gester mentioned:

853x480 at 30fps. But then when you export your project to DVD don’t forget to say that it’s a 16:9 NTSC project you want to create so that the software will set the pixel ration properly.

In TBS, to render directly to DV NTSC choose to export as a DV stream then in the option, choose 16:9.

The resulting will look squashed on your computer screen but it will be stretched to its original proportion on your wide screen tv and look good.

Can’t wait for these HD DVD to come out as a standard. Then we won’t have this problem anymore.

Cheers,

mathieu with changing the frame rate to 30 wont it make the film faster I usually keep it at 24 fps whats the purpose of making it 30.

Also I wanted to konw there are so many formats for widescreen theres 500x281, 1920x1080, 1280x720, and the one mathieu said 853x480 is 853x480 the best for exporting for my tv or any of the others or does it matter which one?

Thanks

24 fps is the film resolution, 30 fps (actually 29.97) is the standard ntsc video resolution.
cheers,
rob

Hi guys,

About frame rate, the NTSC frame rate is 29.97fps. Usually film and animation are done at 24p fps and then brought to 30i fps (29.97fps) with a process called 3:2 pull down. This is usually what I do when I want to bring my animations to DVD.

TBS doesn’t do such a thing and I’m quite confident that QuickTime doesn’t either when exporting to dv. If you are going to use a post production or compositing application such as After effect then you should use 24fps in TBS and let this app. convert to 30fps.

If you plan to output a dv file and burn it directly to a DVD then you should use 30fps but to be honest, I don’t remember if quicktime dv does a 3:2 pull down so I will have to double check just to make sure. I’ll get back to you on that.

ABOUT THE FPS EXPORT TO DV, I JUST CHECKED AND EXPORTING TO DV DIRECTLY FROM TBS WILL AUTOMATICALY CONVERT THE FRAME RATE AND RESPECT THE SPEED OF THE ANIMATION. SO USE 24fps WHEN EXPORTING DIRECTLY TO DV.

To complicate things a little bit, recent DVD player or video recorder that supports progressive display will detect 3:2 conversion and re convert it to 24p instead of 29.97i. This is a process called inversed telecine. This can cause problems too if the source was not originally 24p.

About resolution, you are right there so many standard that exist out there. Especially when talking about broadcasting, you convert pixel to lines (and then fields) and some lines are lost in the signal for sync etc.

Let me explain some of resolutions you have listed here:

1920x1080 is also known as 1080i and is a HDTV interlaced format. Most HD format used in broadcasting.

1280x720 is known as 720p is also HDTV but progressive (known to be the best HD standard used in broadcasting today). Higher resolution of HD exist (e.g. 1080p) but are not used by network for broadcasting. It’s used for higher quality productions or pre production to keep the best quality possible.

I’m not familiar with the 500x281 resolution.

SDTV (standard television) wide screen uses the same amount of vertical lines then the regular NTSC 4:3 ratio. Actually the final results share all the same resolution but the pixel ratio changes.

When in Toon Boom Studio, your camera is 16:9 ration. When exporting to DV it will be 4:3 but with a pixel ration of 1.2 meaning you animation will be squashed. When playing back on a wide screen tv it will stretch to its original proportion.

I know that a lot of theory. There is a lot of reference on the web. Just search for NTSC, DV, SDTV, video etc.

I will confirm the behavior of Quick Time DV when exporting from TBS.

Cheers,

I also have a nother question what is the diffrence between dv and quicktime couldn’t I just burn my movies by exporting to quicktime or would it be best to export to dv.

Thanks

these formats mean different video compressions and assorted settings.

the .dv is a 1:5 compression of the raw digital video (playing at 18mb/s) → i.e. .dv is a 3.6mb/s.

.mov is a qt container where many compressions are possible: sorenson, h.264, mpeg4, cinepak, animation, a.s.o.

you should test the possibilities and chose the one that fits you best.
personally, i would recommend .dv, but this results in a much bigger video file size.
cheers,
rob

what i don’t really get is the resolution alternative for the ntsc 16:9 output, which is 720 x 480, for both 4:3 and 16:9 (the last one distorted on usual video devices, widescreen on 16:9 ones).

the ntsc pixels are rectangular. any computer graphics (square pixels) of a 720 x 540 get ‘squeezed’ to ntsc 720 x 480. the same with a widescreen 960 x 540 (same 720 x 480).

the graphics 853 x 480 (actually 853,333…), after a vertical ‘squeeze’ should result in a 853 x 427 video file, which is no ntsc resolution.

does anybody know the trick? where is the possible logical error?
thanks.
cheers,
rob

Hey guys: I’m creating an animated ad for Dutch TV, and want to know what format settings to use when I start the animation file. I know Dutch video standard is supposedly 16:9, full height anamorphic (FHA), 720x576 and they use 25 fps.

Smart world is a Multi media blog.This blog content of Android games and apps,PC games,software different types of gadget information,tips and tricks and lots more.Anybody can see my blog .People get more information on different types of gadgets,download android,PC’s games and software and different types of tips.