What touch screen Laptops are recommended for Toon Boom?

Its the end of 2022 and there are plenty of touch screen laptops with the right hardware specs. Video cards, ram and processor speed, that should allow you to draw directly onto the laptop. Some as low as $1200 with A GTX 570 video card. Correct me if I’m wrong. I saw some older post from 2017 but nothing recent. So can you do the art directly on the laptop or do you need to still use a wacom or Bamboo type tablet also? It would be nice not to have to use the extras as you could work on stuff in compact areas on the fly or at meetings, the bus etc.

I’ve been able to use Toon Boom Harmony on my Surface Book 2 laptop and can say I’m pleased so far with being able to draw on it using WinTab Drivers. I’m not sure if it would work automatically with the default factory driver as I haven’t tested that.

Surface Book 2 Specs:

• Processor: intel core i7
  • Ram: 16GB
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

And in Harmony, I used the following setting to enable pen pressure and touch gestures:

• Preference>Advanced>Tablet Support> Disable “Use Qt Wintab Tablet Support”
  • Preference>General>Touch Interface > Check “Support Gestures”

I imagine the Surface Laptop Studio 2 by Microsoft and other Surface line devices would also work in the same since they mostly use the same stylus tech.

If I could recommend something potentially better since Surface pen tech can have wobbly lines, I would try to get a hold of an Acer Ezel 7 Pro ConceptD Laptop which uses Wacom EMR tech and can better specs but it is hard to get hold of one and it’s pretty expensive too and likely heavier, which is a trade-off for better performance in general.

That’s the computer I want to get a hold of next personally, but I might not need to for a while since Harmony seems to perform pretty smoothly with what I got. Touch gestures in Harmony are far more responsive and reliable than what I’ve ever encountered with Adobe Animate/Flash.

Greetings!

MEL from Toon Boom here;

You can potentially find answers to your questions over here:

If you need more information, you can reach out to desk@toonboom.com and they should be able to help you out !