What are templates exactly?

Just what are templates exactly?

A template is a reusable mini-scene that you can save in a library and reuse in multiple projects. For example, if you have one character that appears in many scenes, then you will want to save this character as a template in the template library. Then, every time you want to use the character, you simply drag it from the library into the scene.

You can also make templates of backgrounds, or whole scenes, if you want to reuse the setup in another project file later.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

Ah i see now :slight_smile:

So basically you select the frames you want and drag them into the Animate Folder in the scene library?

Well there are a couple of different kinds of templates. There is a master template, where you want to include the drawings. With this kind of a template, you should drag the entire layers from the left hand side onto the library. If you’re making a master template, keep in mind that you should also keyframe the first frame on all layers. This is so that you can use an action template properly (which I’ll explain in a moment).

If you drag frames from the right hand side onto the library, it will create wha we call an Action template - what this means is that it copies the exposure information, and the keyframes, into the library - but not the actual drawings. This is useful for if you want to reuse animation. But the way that you would do this is you first have to have a master template in your scene, then you drag the action template onto the master template and it reuses your animation.

That’s a little bit complicated to start out with, so first of all I think to start out just try dragging from the left hand side of the timeline onto the library.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support