Ways to animate

Hello,
I’m looking for the best ways to animate,
I heard people saying that some are first sketching the WHOLE animation and then scann and finally draw over it and color it,

but I heard like cut-out(Moving the bodyparts) is used much too.
And what about just drawing frame by frame?

What is the best way, and fastest?
And are there any good tutorials on those?

And what do proffesional animators use?
(Like The Simpsons(I want to make something like that style))

I hope some of my questions can be answered! :smiley:

Hi,

Concerning drawing frame by frame the method you described first is pretty much the workflow to approach to achieve it.

For sure in the long run cut-out may be more efficient time wise but you might not be able to achieve the same level of smoothness in the moves of the character using this style (it is some sort of puppet animation after all). For tutorials you can go check in the eLearning section of our website and you might also want to consult JK’s tutorials for they cover quite a lot of topics concerning animation inside Toon Boom Studio.

As for professionals, it is all of a matter of producer. The Simpson is a traditional production which is done in the first method you explained. Most of the feature films are also done that way. More and more you can see cut-out shows on TV since the ability to reuse content helps cut in production time and expense.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ugo

If you are new to animation then you need to start out doing full animation. This is often referred to at frame by frame but all animation is actually frame by frame. Full animation means that you redraw the poses completely for each changing frame. You can begin with just stick figures or simple shapes like a ball. Then you can graduate to more complex shapes like a partially filled sack of flour. As you get familiar with animating movements and the timing of movements and dealing with the forces involved, you can then move to character animation.

It is best to master full animation first before trying limited animation or cut out animation because you need to understand how to animate before you can successfully use these short cut techniques. If you are impatient start with stuck figures and just practice animating them and giving them life and personality. This requires minimal drawing skills but still requires you to master basic animation principles and to understand timing and movements and even to some extent the forces at work. -JK

I’m not new to animating,
but only new to 2D animation,

Before I did 3D animation but that was long ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the replies!

"If you are new to animation then you need to start out doing full animation."

I saw that and I decided to jump in with a reply because I’d just recently decided to do just that. I figured starting out with a traditional style would be a good idea for me. I’m planning on doing most of the drawing on paper and then scanning them into my computer, and I’m going out to get a light box tomorrow for the tracing.

I was wondering, any tips on using these things, as far as keeping everything consistent?

If you have software like TBS you may be better served to learn to do full animation directly in the software and avoid the scanning step. Here are a couple of articles I wrote that might help you get started. There are two parts to each article. There is nothing wrong in drawing on paper with a real light box, but considering how much there is to learn in mastering animation, it is best to simplify as much as you can and focus on the basics. At this point in your learning it is more about understanding timing and forces and less about the quality of your drawing. -JK

A GOOD PLACE TO START PART 1

JUMPING INTO ANIMATION PART 1

Thanks JK those are great articles and some solid advice.