Vistablet Support

I know a Vistablet is not exactly the most high-end type of product, but it’s what I’ve been given to work on an animation. Upon installing Toon-Boom Animate 2, I tried out the tablet and it drew like a mouse. No sensitivity control right away, which I expected. However, after making my initial stroke, the circle indicator for the brush stayed where I had let off the pen pressure. It stayed there and would not move (even though I could move the pointer all over the screen). It would not let me make another stroke until I had actually clicked outside of the drawing area. Then I was able to make another stroke, and so on and so forth. What’s going on here? On top of that, if at any point I switched back to my mouse, if I clicked just once with it, all my pen-strokes disappeared. Very confusing.

Any help or suggestions other than buying a new Wacom tablet?

What graphics card do you have on your computer? The issue of the circle not moving sounds more like a graphics card issue than a tablet issue, although it could be both.

We don’t support Vistablet. We support only Wacom tablets. Although there have been some customers that are using other types of tablets with no issue. Generally if a pressure sensitivity issue came up with Wacom, what I would suggest is to go into the tablet preferences utility and delete the preferences then relaunch the application. This often solves a pressure sensitivity problem. I’m not sure what Vistablet’s drivers are like - do they have such a utility? It may simply be that their drivers don’t work with our software.

Make sure to upload to the latest drivers on both your graphics card and your tablet as a first resort. Please also list your graphics card.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

Well, when I draw with the mouse it works just fine. It’s very bizarre. If I use the tablet with any of the tools, say the lasso, it draws one line until I let go of the pressure and then I can’t draw anymore until I tap outside of the drawing frame and then go back to draw. On top of that, if I’m using the lasso, it doesn’t select anything with the pen it just keeps drawing individual selection lines but doesn’t “let go”. It’s rather frustrating.

If there was anyway to get the tablet to work with Toon-Boom, that would be great. I know all the specs are the same as an Intuos 3 but I guess it’s just the drivers. No way to hack a Vistablet driver to make it “look” like a Wacom is there?

What is your graphics card?

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700M. 512mb dedicated memory, PCI Express…

Well that graphics card should be more than adequate to get the job done. I just needed to verify that.

With the Vistablet, I am not aware of any way of hacking the driver… If you can’t remove the preferences or update a driver then I can’t point you in another direction, I’m afraid. Perhaps there are some Vistablet forums that might help you more there?

Other than that I would suggest getting a wacom tablet.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support