vista and export

Hi all -

okay, here we go … I was forced to go out and get a vista os pc as my xp one crashed and burned… after a few days of getting everything ported over - even TB v3.5.099 - I was surprised I was able to get things done … one problem is that whenever I do an export or just hit enter to view the animation, vista, in its wonder, tells me that TB has stopped working and shuts down the program … anyone out there know how to shut this vista feature off or someway to get around it … it is getting frustrating, to say the least … thanks, Dan

Hi,

Did you get Vista 64bits or 32bits. Also is your Quicktime up to date? For the moment Quicktime is not actually supported under 64 bits OS and since we are using Quicktime to do the rendering this is somewhat problematic.

Until Apple release a 64 bit compatible version of Quicktime we cannot guarantee all the features will work on XP 64bits and Vista 64bits (we suspect it will be released in the same time as the release of Leopard).

This being said if you are not on such OS let us know and we will look further into this issue.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo -

Thanks for the quick reply … I have the home premium editiion x32 and just installed quicktime version 7.1 … I exited out of tb3.5, went back in, opened up the file I was working on, did an export and windows closed the program within a few seconds …
Hopefully this is not one of the functions TB and vista cannot agree on as to me this is a vital function, to be able to view the animation in progress…
any help would be appreciated … thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,

Have you updated your video card drivers since you have purchased the computer. Most of the time the default drivers that come with the machine are out of date.

I doubt it is some incompatibility in between the OS and the application for we would have heard about it before. This might be a little setting that we are missing. What is the video card installed on that machine?

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo -

I just finished working with hp on the driver issue as it failed to load … it has now been updated, the system has been rebooted… warm boot, not a cold one … got back into tb3.5, brought in the file, hit enter and got the vista message tb was not responding - leaving me no choice but to click ok at which time vista shut the program down … should i reinstall 3.5?
I do appreciate your help in this … thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,

Is the situation noticeable when you export a quicktime too? I am starting to think it might simply be the fact the Flash playback is not enabled on your Quicktime player.

Try to open Quicktime Player. Then go in Edit>Preferences>Quicktime Preferences… Once there go in the Advanced tab. In the Media Types section make sure that Enable playback of Adobe Flash tracks is checked. Close Quicktime and Toon Boom Studio and try again.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Dan,

Is it only when you hit enter? Do you have the same problem when you export a movie using something else then flash. Try exporting a quick time movie please.

Also, you want to make sure you quick time player is set to playback Flash files since we use it for quick preview (enter).

Open quick time player, go to preference and in the advanced tab, make sure to check the option “Enable flash playback”.

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Hi All -

I did as requested but still vista failed on both export and the enter key … I decided to try something and created a quick animation … it ran fine … i brought back in the file that had been created in version3 then saved as 3.5, ran it and it crashed … i moved all the elements to the library, created a new file, moved a few elements in, ran it and it exported fine … looks to me that what i created in vers 3 and saved as version 3.5 is having issues… brought in another one from vers3, saved it as 3.5 and it exported fine … somehow it looks like the animation i was working on got corrupted - perhaps that occured when my xp pc crashed… i was working on that file at the time … in any case, thanks for all your help, i do appreciate it …
One other question … why can’t i attach an existing sound file to a peg? I can create one in a peg, but can’t move an existing one into a peg… I suppose i can create one then copy/paste the frames into the new one … thanks, Dan

Hi,

In theory you shouldn’t have to drag a sound inside a peg because peg are used to move visual elements around the screen and sound are not visual. So the drag and drop manager of the time line doesn’t allow you that. But I can see that you can create a new sound when inside a peg. Hummm … not consistent!

I admit it can be useful to organized your time line (some use pegs as folders to group elements together).

I guess we could allow such a behavior, it doesn’t hurt anyways

Thanks for the suggestions, we’ll look into it.

Cheers,

Hi M -

I try to use the pegs as foders to group all my like parts together … where it really comes in handy is when I am doing the liip sync … having the drawing element right next to the sound element makes it so much easier, especially if you have four or five voice elements to contend with …
Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it … and it would be nice to have that feature available or something similiar in a future release … thanks, Dan