Video tutorial rage!

I’m finding it a very tough slog learning TBS. Yes, I realize that it does a lot of things previously available only to users of highly expensive and specialized software. However, I suspect the publishers of that software make every effort to ensure that it can be learned and wielded successfully by the average user. By contrast, the Toonboom video tutorials are confusing and superficial. I’ve only downloaded one of the workout series, “Photo animation cut-out puppet” but it shares the flaws of some of the TBS training videos. It flies through the steps of cutting out and rigging the puppets, using a flawless cut-out (unlike anything the average user would have on hand) The mouse pointer flies over the interface, clicking, dragging, etc. trying to follow it is hard, I had to play the video over and over again to figure out what was going on. The narrator doesn’t say for instance “You right click the torso and drag it ON TOP of the hips” nope, no way. It doesn’t help that the videos aren’t scalable either, you either watch them puny or full screen. Now, the reader might ask “Why didn’t you just read the manual, ya fool?” The answer is . . I read on the e-learning page that “The Toon Boom Animation Workout Series is a dedicated program of exercises designed to help you develop the techniques and skills necessary to get the most out of Toon Boom Studio.” the problem is they don’t! Try following “Using Pegs” in the Studio training video and try to replicate it. You can’t. You’ll probably notice after the fifth attempt that the puppet peg in the timeline looks different than yours. How do you get your timeline to look like that? Who knows? Obviously there’s a lot more to it than what they are showing. Back to the manual . . . This would be sort-of acceptable if the lessons were free, but they’re not! The “Studio Training videos” were $60 and the “Workout series” are $25 each, I’ve spent over $100 for material of very little value! “Sucker” you might say, well, sure, but I was acting in good faith. My previous video training was last year, a “Lynda.com” package included with the latest CorelDraw. It wasn’t the most scintillating presentation, but at least it assured a predictable outcome. I learned to effectively use CorelDraw. “But CorelDraw costs $400!” you may say, well, TBS cost me $329 initially, plus $99 for the upgrade to version 4.5, plus $110 for the training, plus tax (I’m Canadian) and we’re looking at nearly $600! Not quite the bargain I’d hoped for. At the very least, I feel Toonboom should refund my $110 for “training”or substitute some better material.

Count to ten, take a walk, eat a chocolate bar, get a punching bag, essentially clear your head, because if you go into it mad you won’t get anywhere, I know, I dislocated a finger last year punching my computer over a problem with Toon Boom, that was completely avoidable and very painful, It was a problem with my computer’s graphics card exploding from not being properly ventilated. My point is, calm down then try it again moving very slowly. If you’re as bad with computers as I am, then you should probably take it a lot slower and if you miss something, go bak and re-read it a couple of times. And always remember, if you get mad, take a break.

I am self taught. I have never thought about animation before about a year ago. I bought this program after me and a buddy had a idea for a cartoon.
I do have some training in computers and photography.
All I can say man is stick with it. Keep giving yourself small projects. Remember its a bunch of small simple tasks that complete the complex scene. And a cartoon is nothing more than a bunch of scenes strung together. So really its a bunch of simple ideas and tweaks that makes it complete and polished. the forums here are a big help. I too bought over 100 dollars in the “workout series”. These are useful now that I went thru the painful process of teaching myself the animation process of TB.
If you have any direct questions please ask away. Being self taught with no background I may be able to answer things in a basic way.

Check out my very very rough skits. These are basic ideas, everytime I play around I learn something.
You Tube
search… Hazard6211

I also am a newbie at this, self taught, and I’m doing this as a hobby. I downloaded the demo, walked through the quick start guide’s free tutorials (in PDF form) before deciding that I COULD actually pull off the things they ran me through, in the tutorials. I rate a product by how easy it is to pull off what they advertise that I can do. I’ve not bought the pay versions of tutorials, but got a free video with the recent purchase. I already knew how to do half of this stuff mentioned in the paid tutorial (that I got free), by just doing their free tutorials! Mind you, I still don’t know how to properly set things up in the timeline (shortcut wise to save time), but the masking, cut-out all, camera movements, etc, I pretty much can do from the top of my head now. I know the stuff in the tutorials well but not quite the basic functions of dragging exposures properly, but I’ve not read up on that part heavily yet, I’m only concerned with the tutorials. I’d been using the demo 21 days before purchasing. So, I’m going to respectfully disagree that the training is bad, I found it easy. The manuals show you how to read the symbols in the timelines, you can easily see some of the complex stuff Toon Boom did, and translate that back to your own work. I say, you put 1hr a night into learning 1 new function a day. You might be doing too much too soon and not getting the benefits of the tutorials.