Vertical Rotation

Hi, this could be a dumb question! ???

Is it possible to rotate an image in the vertical plane, ie to get a figure to turn it’s head to the side?

I’ve not worked extensively with Drawings yet but I cannot seem to animate a character turning.

Help gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.
Pete

Hi petehodge,

The 2D drawings and images in Toon Boom Studio are flat and don’t have any Z information. Image to you are animating piece of papers. You can’t rotate a character head like you want to.

There is a technique that is called morphing that can transform the shape of a drawing. Using this technique can help doing head turns but it’s only available in Toon Boom Solo.

Cheers,

Thanks Mathieu.

I thought this might be the case. I guess the head can turn by actually drawing each frame of the turn and putting them into a sequence - as with standard animation?

Cheers.

Hi petehodge,

As you thought best way to make a characters head to turn around would be to do it the traditional way. It requires allot of patience and skill but I can give you some tips if you want.

- First draw the first and last head position.

- Create the head position that would be in the exact middle of the 2 first positions.

- Then take that last drawing you made and the first one and create the one in the middle of those 2.

- Continue doing that until you filled all frames.

By doing it this way you’ll make sure your head don’t go too far or make irregular movement. Hopefully this will help you out.

Best regards.

Ugo

Thanks Ugo I’ll give it a go. :stuck_out_tongue:

A couple of techniques can be employed to make this work better.

First off, if you set your actions to work in sets of five, nine, or seventeen frames, you’re off to a good start because you can easily find the middle point of either the timing or the action, and manipulate the timing of the action much the way TBS’s velocity editor does.

Second, according to Richard Williams’ The Animator’s Survival Kit, the nose and eyes shouldn’t move straight across the face–arc them up or (more often) down.

You can also use something Williams refers to as the “long headed in-between” by stretching parts of some drawings out.

I’ve put a few samples in this little Flash demo:

http://www.cartoonthunder.com/various/headTurn.swf

Well done Rob !!!

Thanks Rob, great demo.

Pete