velocity curve - bobbing around not easing

Hi,

I have used the velocity curve to ease in and out successfully in the past, but for some reason I am having troubles now! I’m trying to make a character simply sway from left to right with an ease in and out (so the character gently sways).

But instead of slowing the animation down at each key frame, the whole character is bobbing around as soon as I edit the velocity curve. This is very frustrating, I’m sure I’ve missed something obvious??? Why is the velocity curve affecting the position of my character - I only want it to affect speed!!!

Hi,

I have a hard time understanding the exact behavior you are getting at the moment. The velocity itself should not make the position vary unless you have used the editor the modify position with the graphic.

In any case we would need more details on the exact procedure you have followed (step by step) to define why you are getting this behavior.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks Ugo. I’ll try and outline the specific steps.

Background: I have a character standing. I want her to sway gently from left to right (this will loop several times).

Steps:
1. Click on frame 1 (where drawing is) and press F6 to insert keyframe
2. Click on frame 40 of the timeline and press F5 (extend sprites) then F6 to insert a keyframe.
3. Click on frame 20 of the timeline and press F6 for a keyframe. This will be her “sway right” position - so by frame 40 she has swayed back to the original position as frame 1.
4. I select the transform tool (the animate button is depressed). I move the rotation reference spot to where I want her to pivot (from her legs) then rotate the character to be in sway right position.
5. I click the “set motion keyframe” button to create tweens between 1-20, 20-40.

At this point she is swaying and everything is behaving as expected. But now I want to add easing so she doesn’t jerk from one direction to the other at frame 0 and 40.

6. I expand the layer + so I can see the velocity channel. I double click the velocity channel.
7. In velocity bezier I drag out the start and end points by about 10 frames - a gentle curve that I “expect” will slow her down at the beginning and end.

Now I playback the timeline and she is bobbing up and down on the stage - not pivoting as in step 4. I’m guessing there is some weird connection between the velocity and the path but I’m not sure how to dissasociate motion from speed…?

Hi,

I have a feeling you are doing a mistake in step 7. If you want to do an ease in there you should not move the actual point but pull the handles on the side of the points to change the shape of the curve. It is that actual shape that will define the ease, the position itself of the original point define where on the path you have created your keyframe should be so moving those points would indeed change the movement (shorten it).

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo,

Please don’t give up on me yet - I still haven’t figured this out! :stuck_out_tongue: To clarify, I am only dragging the handles - I’m not moving the actual points themselves.

I went back to a version I’d backed up (one that I knew worked properly) and I noticed an interesting difference.

On the one that works, each keyframe along the timeline (each “square” representing a frame) has a border. The version that doesn’t work has no borders - it’s just one long gray rectangle that spans from one keyframe to the next (both with the arrow indicating the tween). Does this make sense? I can upload an image if not - this would make it clear.

Hi,

I think what you are referring to is the exposure of your drawings in the timeline (one big rectangle would mean 1 single drawing that is used across the scene).

Though I don’t really see how this could impact the the position of the element to have one single drawing that uses the velocity of a path. Maybe you could actually send us the project in which you are having the problem for us to get a better idea of what is going on. If you have no way to send it let us know and we will setup an ftp location for you to upload the file. You can contact us in support at techsupport@toonboom.com.

Best regards,

Ugo

Solution: I’m not sure exactly why this works, but by reseting the characters values (right clicking character name in the timeline) then using the “Angle” channel to control beziers (not the Velocity channel) - I can adjust easing without altering the characters position or pivot point.

Thanks to Ugo for the help.