Vectorizing with colour separation

I looked into this a few years ago but I don’t remember why we never tried it at the studio. I couldn’t find detailed information about the process. On page 4 of the Harmony 9 release notes there is an illustration of it, but there doesn’t seem to be anything about it on the the Harmony Stage User Guide dated September 2011(2).

Is this a time-efficient process to trace shadows over drawings, on the same sheet of paper on a traditional pipeline scenario? I understand that the lines would be eliminated by changing its alpha value once the area is filled with a colour for shadow/tone, on the line art or colour art layer, but I was wondering what will happen on the intersection of the colour lines and the black line of the drawing. Wouldn’t it leave gaps?

On our small studio we normally draw masks for shadows on separate sheets of paper. On some projects we also did it on the opposite side of the sheet, flipping the drawing on scanning or later on Stage.

What’s the standard procedure on big studios doing traditional animation?

Did you look at this?

http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/animate/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=3689

This is a new implementation of the 4 color vectorization. Most big studios are doing separate drawings for the different layers as it’s fast to paint and it was the best approach before. Now you would have to test it out with your drawings. Some things to consider also is the speed of the color scan as opposed to a bw scan. You would have to experiment with the colored pencils also since it used to be a bit tricky to get a consistent colored lines. I think the new one is a lot more tolerant.

I searched but didn’t find that tutorial, thank you. We did a test recently but the black line was eaten when the colour was set to transparent. In your drawing, the colour lines interrupt when they cross the black line or are there any parameters that would fill the gap in the black line even though you’d draw the colour lines over? I suppose just touching both sides of the black line with the colour line instead of actually crossing it, is a solution for not having gaps when you ‘remove’ the colour lines.

I wonder if you could change the settings a bit and then it wouldn’t think the dark colored part of the overlap wasn’t a colored line but a black line.