Vectorising Images

Hi,

I am trying to vectorize an image when I import it and am unable to find a way to edit the way it does this. The tutorial on the website shows that it is possible to edit how an image vectorises by double clicking on the vectorise options. I cannot see a way of doing this though. Does anyone know how?

Thanks

Wayne

When you import an image, instead of using one of the presets in the Vectorization section, you can click on the “+” sign to bring up the Vectorization Parameters window. From there you can see a preview and change the settings.

-Mark

Hi Mark,

I don’t have that button… There doesn’t seem to be anywhere for me to click to open the parameters window.

Thanks

Wayne

Right… I have scanned through the documentation and it looks like you cannot change the preferences in animate 2. This comes as quite a surprise as the video online clearly says “Toon Boom Animate and Animate Pro”. I’d say that this video is misleading especially seeing as I bought this software expecting this feature.

I was able to go back to Animate 2 and see what the differences were. If you check the checkbox of Vectorize Imported Items a new box will show up called Vectorization. It has two options of Colour and Black and White. The Threshold, Expand and Smooth options are for use with the Black and White.

So, Animate 2 does have vectorization and you can change the settings for black and white but not color. It really is limited compared to the Pro version.

-Mark

I’m just a beginner, and I don’t know what you’re trying to do to the images, but I wanted to share a tip I discovered that I didn’t find in the documentation (but perhaps is intuitive if you know the software well, which I don’t).

I was importing screenshots, and had wanted to set the size when I vectorized them so that they came in so that I didn’t have to fiddle with each one individually. (And was frustrated too when I couldn’t find the options shown in the tutorial.) However, I found that if I turned the Transform tool on, then brought in my first image and resized it to the correct size for my video, then when I brought in subsequent screenshots that size was “remembered,” which saved me a lot of time.

It’s unlikely it will apply to exactly what your’e doing, but I thought I’d mention it just in case, as maybe you can do even more with the transform tool than what I discovered if you experiment.

Hi, I also discovered this problem. Needed to vectorize colour images from a video to be able to break them up and work with them in Animate, and so it turns out that you can’t. Not so good.
Do anyone know any workaround?
For example, I have an image shot with a green screen. Can you in any way remove (make it transparent, chroma keying) the green in Animate?
I thougth I could use Colour override but then you have to have a vectorized image for what I understand.
I can chroma key it in Win Movie Maker but then I have to have the background ready there, I dought I can find a way to export it transparent from Movie Maker.
One would think it should be simple to be able to make it in Animate, so why… And you seem to be able to make it in TB Studio. They’re talking about creating cut-out of photos. Why in Studio and not in Animate?
Tips?

I just got some clarification of this and thought I should share it right away.
The vectorize colour image functions are actually quite similar in those softwares, they create a vector border image with texture fill. Apparently Harmony can handle it in a more sophisticated way.

So there is manual labour here, cutting up somehow by hand.
I’m lazy and spoiled in this computer age, just want the software to do it automatically.
But anyway, if anyone has a tip for chroma key and perhaps use another software preparing the images before you import them into animate? (So you can have transparent backgrounds, I mean there are a lot of frames even in a small video.)

@ Monkey, Animate has a simplified image import, and Animate Pro gives you the advanced vectorization parameters. I’ll give your feedback to the documentation team to make a note of this in the videos.

@ Chicka Boom, when you’re importing images, it will fit those images to your drawing plane. When you’re using NTSC resolution, the drawing grid matches up with the resolution and it’s not a problem. If you’re working in HD though, we still use a traditional drawing grid so the grid doesn’t match the camera frame. If you turn on your drawing grid, then you can see whether the grid is lining up horizontally or vertically with the camera frame.

If your scene is set to Vertical fit, it fits the top and bottom of the drawing grid to the camera frame. If your scene is set to Horizontal fit, it fits the left and right of the drawing grid with the camera frame.

Usually when you’re importing in images and you’re using a widescreen format, you want to set it to Horizontal fit, if you’re using the Fit option on the Image Import. Go to Scene > Scene Settings, and then select Horizontal Fit, and this should import the images the right way without you having to adjust anything with your transform tool.

If you’re using the Project Resolution fit when you’re importing your images, then you’ll want to change the Scene Settings to be Vertical Fit.

Hope this helps!

~Lilly

There is a Colour Screen effect in Animate Pro, but this effect is not in Animate. There are some tools, like the Image Capture, that are available in Studio but not in the Animate line. Animate line was designed to be more specifically for doing professional animation, paperless style, cutout style. We don’t recommend doing stop-motion in the Animate line, and this is more where the green screen effect is used.

I’m not sure what is a common tool to use to do green screening, but as long as you can export images or a quicktime movie with alpha, then you can import those files into Animate.

~Lilly