V4.5 and Vectorized images (texture maps)

Just trying to optimize a project. Noticed that v4.5 splits imported vectorized images into the vector drawing (1k, presumably just outline of image) and a texture file (tga) in the Textures folder.

A couple of the texture files are large (600k and 1.5Mb). Trying to work out what element they relate to is difficult as the *.tga name is random. There’s also no way to even identify the Scene they are used in. I can open each in turn with Photoshop - that helps - but there doesn’t appear to be an easy way to associate a texture with a drawing element or scene.
Is there a way to do this?

What I’ve also worked out is that the two large texture files correspond to two palette entries “Bitmap Import 8” and “Bitmap Import 9”.

How can I delete these palettes or textures?
Neither are used anywhere in the project. However, if I remove the two texture files from the textures directory, ToonBoom crashes when loading the project. I can’t see a way to delete a palette either. Is there a trick to this?

Last questions:
When exporting to Flash does ToonBoom include ALL textures it thinks are related to that project/scene, even if not used in the timeline?

If I export to Flash and choose NOT to export textures what gets shown when played in Flash? Without the textures surely the vectorised images will just come out blank…

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas…

Hi

Are you getting the crash when you delete the palette or the color itself. I never did encounter that situation so if you could give me the exact procedure to do so I will see if something can be done to avoid this to happen.

This being said for the time being what you could do is relink the color of the texture to some much smaller file, this could help to lighten the project. You can do so by double clicking on the color of the texture and browse to another file.

In theory the textures that are not used in the ongoing project should not be carried over to the swf. It only takes whatever that is used in the project by default. Then again I am not quite sure how you could export and not bring the texture along (I don’t see any specific feature to do so).

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi

Actually I didn’t think the texture (*.tga) file would be needed if not in the Scene/Project - so I removed it from the PC folder Textures. What I didn’t realize was that ToonBoom had a reference to it as a Palette. If you have a palette but no matching texture file ToonBoom crashes (might be best if it just flagged a missing file).

Ok, since then I have painstaking gone through the palettes and deleted those that are not needed. That’s been reflected (for the most part) in the PC folder Textures. However, I still have 2 large *.tga files that do not seem to have a matching Palette…and are not used in the project.

What’s even weirder is that when I save and close the project, then re-open it the deleted Palettes are reloaded!!! It’s like the ToonBoom code is loading ALL the textures it finds in the PC folder called Textures. Surely it should keep track of which Palettes have been deleted in the Project??

I have since tried to (a) Delete the unused palette, (b) Saved project, (c) closed ToonBoom, (d) removed corresponding texture *tga files from Textures folder, (e) started up Project once more in ToonBoom. ToonBoom crashes! This has got to be a bug.

I’m going to change the unused texture to a file with a single pixel and see what happens.

The Export Flash option I was thinking about was actually called “Export Palette Information”. I was making the assumption that because textures of vectorized images were loaded as separate palettes, then this option would ensure these (amongst other palettes) were loaded into the export file.

One problem worked out…kind of

I original imported and vectorized an image right at the start of the project and decided to cut one of the small elements out from it and discard the rest.

Turns out ToonBoom keeps the texture of the WHOLE original vectorized image, not just the part you cut out. (Might be good if ToonBoom can discard the rest of the texture…)

Tried editing the texture (*.tga) file using Photoshop. For some reason the Drawing Image was there (and the shadow effect worked, bu the image had become invisible. Guess only option is to re-import an vectorize image all over again and reset all the keyframes if they get put out of wack…

Also noticed that when you import a PNG file, if you make sure you remove any lingering invisible alpha layer, the texture file (tga) will be the same size as the original canvas size. In other words you have to closely crop each and every image before importing an vectorizing…

Some pointers incase anyone is experimenting with cut-out animation with imported/vectorized images.

1) Tightly crop PNG images before importing into ToonBoom
You might be tempted to import an image, and then cut a section out for use in animation. DON’T! ToonBoom will not trim the texture map to match the new image size. Instead, it will keep the FULL texture map (which could be extremely large, even if the part of the image you are using is very small). This is true even if the image contained a large transparent canvas (alpha layer).

2) Editing Texture (*.tga) files after images has been imported
If you have a large texture file in the Textures directory, and don’t feel like re-importing the image with a smaller texture (it will often screw up any existing keyframes), you can edit the *.tga file directly. (Just keep in mind that if you crop the file you will often have to correct the size of the image in the Drawing View as it will appear larger than before)

(a) Close ToonBoom project and edit *.tga texture file in Photoshop
Reduce image and canvas size. Tightly crop around the part of the image you need. Remember to use save as *.tga and you MUST maintain the original file name (otherwise ToonBoom will crash trying to load the texture file that no longer exists). Make sure you close the image in Photoshop otherwise TB will crash when you try to save the project (it doesn’t seem to check to see if file is locked by another application or not).

When saving the *.tga file, use “32-bit/pixel” and “Compress (RLE)” options.

b) Start up ToonBoom project. The vectorized image will often have a strange looking (blurry) texture, or, the texture may appear to be transparent. Select image with the Drawing Select tool. Find the palette that matches the texture you just edited. Use the Paint tool to paint the newly edited texture to the drawing shape.

Some other things to keep in mind (not relevant to this problem but worth keeping in mind for cut-outs)
3) Check the pixel resolution before importing
Wish ToonBoom listed this information on import (hint)
Don’t use excessively high resolutions

4) If you import and vectorize a PNG file, make sure that there are no hidden pixels or alpha layer. Deleting once in ToonBoom will still leave a large texture file.

General observation
V4.5 doesn’t seem to import the alpha layer as a separate transparent image. Cropping an image that has a large transparent background will normally reduce the Texture *.tga file by just 2Kb or so.