using 2 cameras

is it possible to toggle between 2 cameras is the same scene? ex: first camera regular shot and second camera a close-up. i don’t want to zoom or anything. i just want to be able to have a clos-up then switch back to a full view. any help would be soooo appreciated!!!

Here is an article I wrote which explains one way to produce multiple shots with in a single scene. Don’t hesitate to ask questions. MULTI-SHOTS IN ONE SCENE

Hope this helps,
JK

JK,

This is an excellent tutorial. I have read it and love your work. Very clear and helpful.

However this is only one camera that backs out then pans following the action.

What I belive the OP wanted to know, as do I, is how do you use multiple cameras?

I have seen and set up cameras multiple cameras in TBS, but I can’t figure out how to switch back and forth from one to the other once they are in place.

If I have one camera focusing on a puppet chatting, then add a second voice and puppet to the end of the scene the current camera simply extends to the end of the scene.

Basically I want to set up a scene with several characters in different places. Put in a conversation between them, then change the camera angles between them as they talk and react to the conversation they are having.

This seems to me to be much easier then moving the existing camera back and forth or setting up different scenes for each character.

So is there a way to toggle between 2 or more cameras?

TBS only supports one camera at a time. If you want to switch cameras you can do so but not during a single scene. Each TBS scene could use a different camera. Note that the definition of a cinematic scene and a TBS scene are not necessarily the same. -JK

So whats the purpose of allowing the creation of multiple cameras if you can’t toggle between them?

Yes this is my point. Why would TBS allow you to create 2 cameras and even show you how to create a second camera in thier program if there were no way to utilize them?

Seems crazy to me! ???

The concept behind this feature is to allow the artist to experiment with an alternate camera set up while planning their work. It’s a planning and visualizing feature. It is not intended to be a realtime switching of cameras but it does allow an artist to do some alternative experimentation while thinking through and developing their work. -JK

JK,

First off. Thanks so much for helping us all out. We really appreciate your opinions and expertise.

I don’t want to come across as beating a dead horse here, but as much as I get why someone would want to expirament with a second camera, it doesn’t even help in that department, as far as if I can’t enable that camera or actually see what that camera is showing then what point would there be to setting it up in the first place?

I guess I am just stating an opinion on the matter. Probably doesn’t even warrant a reply.

Basically the end game is: TBS allows you to set up a camera but doesn’t support the use of that second camera.

The value is that you can render with camera one, then render with camera two and see the difference between the two renders to evaluate options for how you want to present your work. As I said in another response to this type of question, the best advice I can give you is to focus on adjusting your thinking about the role of the camera in 2D animation. I encourage you to research classical animation production techniques (pre-computer photographic animation) as a starting point for learning the secrets of how to approach this craft. TBS supplies you with all the tools to duplicate those techniques. -JK