Upgrading to 3.5?

Hi,

I’m currently running TBS 3.0 and was wondering if it’s worth the upgrade to 3.5?

I’ve encountered numerous bugs in 3.0, from the icon tool magically changing on its own, to random lines appearing sometimes while drawing, to portions of drawings vanishing from view while working in camera mode, to pegs reseting to the first frame after undoing a change, to outright crashes where the entire program closes out and everything unsaved is lost forever.

I also get a large amount of program slowdown when I do any scene that lasts more than 30 seconds or when there’s a lot of activity on screen (I use fairly elaborate cut outs), while working on scenes or stifling over into to exported Flash movies, but fortunately not Quicktime exports.

I don’t think it’s my system (2.8Ghz Intel Dual Cores, 2 gigs of Ram, Nvidia 7800GT), and aside from winamp, practically nothing else is running in the background (no spyware either).

So if anyone has anything to share about 3.5 improving on any of these, please share.

Thanks.

Hi Toon,

I am not sure why you’re having the problems you are but it’s possible V3.5 will improve the performance. The best way to know for sure is to download the trial on your system.

http://www.toonboom.com/products/trial_dwn/

Karen

Anyone who visits these forums regularly has to be smiling at that comment. Because it is almost always a problem with the user’s system or how it is configured or what conflicts they have with other software that they totally ignore existing. You can go to the bank it is your system set up and or usage that is causing the problem. It may be driver conflicts, it may be hardware conflicts, it may be concurrent software applications you have running including your anti-virus software. You are just going to have to make the needed adjustments until you get a stable configuration that works. The software is not perfect and there are releases that are better than earlier releases so just making sure you are running the most current build for the version you are using, that is critical to solving your problems.

The one thing that is sadly true about MS Windows is that 99% of all users haven’t a clue how much stuff is running on their machine at any given moment. And assuming that you can add to all that background processing with several independent applications and the internet and/or networking at the same time is a constant source of potential conflicts.

As to the advantages of TBS 3.5 over 3.0 they are many and significant. Should you upgrade? No, not if you aren’t using v3.0 much, why upgrade just to let the new version sit idle too. Work through your conflict issues and start using V3.0, it is a great program, then when you are getting value from V3.0, you will certainly want to upgrade to the newer improved version. -JK

Anyone who visits these forums regularly has to be smiling at that comment. Because it is almost always a problem with the user’s system or how it is configured or what conflicts they have with other software that they totally ignore existing. You can go to the bank it is your system set up and or usage that is causing the problem. It may be driver conflicts, it may be hardware conflicts, it may be concurrent software applications you have running including your anti-virus software. You are just going to have to make the needed adjustments until you get a stable configuration that works. The software is not perfect and there are releases that are better than earlier releases so just making sure you are running the most current build for the version you are using, that is critical to solving your problems.

The one thing that is sadly true about MS Windows is that 99% of all users haven’t a clue how much stuff is running on their machine at any given moment. And assuming that you can add to all that background processing with several independent applications and the internet and/or networking at the same time is a constant source of potential conflicts.

As to the advantages of TBS 3.5 over 3.0 they are many and significant. Should you upgrade? No, not if you aren’t using v3.0 much, why upgrade just to let the new version sit idle too. Work through your conflict issues and start using V3.0, it is a great program, then when you are getting value from V3.0, you will certainly want to upgrade to the newer improved version. -JK

I have purposely kept the computer I’m using Toon Boom on, off the internet and have checked my Task Manager to see if anything non-essential was running. With the exception of Winamp and an anti-virus which I could turn off, there’s really nothing out of the ordinary there.

Toon Boom generally runs fine will a light load, but for particularly longer scenes with a numerous moving objects, it runs really slow. Per Task Manager, my Toon Boom project is using over a Gig of memory, even though all the graphics are vectored and sound is mp3 format (easily under 30 MB total) .

Over a gig to run it seems like an excessive amount, which could explain why it’s going so slow.

I understand outright crashes may be a system problem, however they seem to only come when I’m knee deep in a scene and things are slowing down to a crawl.

Other things like the tool spontaneously changing (it’s uncommon but it seems to happen on certain pegs in particular) or unwanted lines appearing, seem to be a software issue.

If many of these issues are known and addressed in 3.5, I would probably update, provided it doesn’t mess up my current project.