Undetermined position in the z axis, using tone-highlight effects

Animate 2 on windows XP OS.
I have imported from Illustrator 10 a background with layers using the import illustrator layers script.
For a rigged character, who must be able to put your arm on a table, it was necessary to add the effect tone.
One of the background levels (a table) was placed in a position midway between a z-arm and z-body, so that by moving the arm passes in front of the table and the body is behind it. Until then turned out all right, without applying the effect.
Then I did a clone of the character, then put it inside the mask, and the original character I’ve placed inside the tone effect, then the result was that the arm came to be always behind the table.
Rotating the view perspectives, I could see how the arm goes from forward to being behind the table when nothing is changed in the scene. Z has an undetermined position when applied to the effect. What is the cause? It is possible that an element which is not included in the effect, can not be located within the depth range (z) of those elements that compose it?
Has anyone experienced the problem? Someone has found a solution? Thank you, TB support and users for any contribution about this issue.

Yoryo

What’s happening here is that there are certain effects (like Tone and Highilght) that will flatten the image at the point where the effect is applied. There is no way to get around this in Animate. The only thing that I can suggest is to try to put the tone first then apply the mask.~LillyToon Boom Support

Hi Lilly,Thanks you for clarifying this mode of behavior of the effects. Could you clarify how can I put the first tone, then apply the mask?Thinking about the solution, what I did was to divide the character, first all without the arm and the other arm and only apply the effect to both separately. But it was very hard to keep the hierarchy of functions and applied to the animation of the arm, because, by not allowing parents display elements, it unsettles the childs. Thanks Lilly.Yoryo

Sorry for that not very clear response. If you put the tone individually on each part, then clearly you will not have the problem of flattening and you should be good to go. The only thing is, in this case, you might need to work with peg layers so that if you keyframe the peg, that will affect the animation for both the arm layer and the arm tone layer.The other solution would be to make a clone of your whole character and then put this clone (with the tone already applied to it) onto a mask that you would then show the area on top of the table. Does that make more sense?~LillyToon Boom Support

Of course Lilly, The procedure for applying the mask effect to all second tone group of the character, which occupies the z-level positive to the table position, makes sense, to give visibility to this group, only in the part of the arm that moves over a table.I did a little test about it, and verified that everything works properly with a simple mask by avoiding overlap arm with the character’s body. This situation would force the mask consistently encouraged to avoid cuts or display unwanted body parts next to the arm in its movement.The ideal would be to use the arm as a mask, but the lack of visibility of elements prevents the correct parent location. Thank you for contributing to finding a solution.Yoryo