Unable to open project file HELP PLEASE!

I hope there is someone here who can help me. I am using TBS v3.0 and I recently had a hard drive meltdown. I managed to move my entire project folder over to another drive before wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. (xp pro) After reinstalling the OS, I reinstalled TBS and tried to open my project file. TBS opens and then nothing…the file is over 3 megs so I know the data is there somewhere. The folder structure is all still there:

Folders:
Scene-001
Sound
Templates

All the files are there and I can open all sound and video clips in other programs, but when I try to open my .tbp file in Toon Boom, there is NOTHING THERE. I have put a lot of time into this animation and it would be heartbreaking if we had to start over. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Was the animation done in a traditional way or using pegs and cut-out? Also, do you get any error message when you try to launch the project or it simply opens a blank one?

In any of those cases it should be possible to recover the drawing by recreating all the drawings you had (name of drawings) in an empty project and changing the files from the old project to the new one afterward. The TBP file is basically containing link to the hierarchy of file you have in the folders and if you recreate those link and change the files it will read them without any problem.

Hope it helps you out.

Best regards,

Ugo

ok…no offense, but I don’t have the slightest clue what you are suggesting that I do here. Should I make a new project file and import all the drawings? If so, how do I do that? What you said seems to have confused me even more. I’m just trying to understand, please reply with a clarification.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the missunderstanding. Here are some more explanations:

-----------
Was the animation done in a traditional way or using pegs and cut-out? Also, do you get any error message when you try to launch the project or it simply opens a blank one?
-----------

Basically, I wanted to know if you working in a traditional way (all drawn animation and little or none animation using peg) or in a cut-out way (still drawing that you animate using a hierarchy of pegs or elements).

In the next part of the paragraph I wanted to know if there is an error message that happears when you try to open your project or if the project simply open without complaning.

-----------
In any of those cases it should be possible to recover the drawing by recreating all the drawings you had (name of drawings) in an empty project and changing the files from the old project to the new one afterward. The TBP file is basically containing link to the hierarchy of file you have in the folders and if you recreate those link and change the files it will read them without any problem.
-----------

Now this is the technical part to recover the drawings (the drawings only, unfortunately the pegs can’t be recover unless they are still present in the original project). The first thing you will need to do is to copy the project folder from Windows to have a backup of all the assets (drawings/images/sounds) of the scene. Once this is done you will need to open the Toon Boom Studio project. Once the project (which is most likely empty) is opened you will need to create new elements with the same name that they use to have in the project before it was corrupted. Then once you are done creating the drawings you will need to save the file and close Toon Boom Studio. Now what you will need to do is copy the Scene folders that is located inside the copy of the project you have made (it should be at the same level then the .tbp file) and paste is in the project that you have just modified. Then try to open your project again.

Hopefully this will be clearer. If you still have difficulties, could you zip the actual project that you have and send it to us via e-mail (if it can be sent by e-mail) to techsupport@toonboom.com. If it is too big let us know and we will set an ftp folder for you to upload it.

Best regards,

Ugo