Trouble importing PS .psd file into TBS

I experience problems when I try to import a .psd file into TBS (v3.5). I get the following message in a black box:

“This layered photoshop file was not saved with a composite image” (in four languages!)

The image in question was a vector drawing object (a circle with a simple color fill), exported from TBS in PDF format, opened in Photoshop CS2, then saved as a .psd file.
I then tried to import this file into TBS using “File > Import file”.

What am I doing wrong that I can not open a .psd file in TBS?

Using: Toon Boom Studio V3.5 Build 59 / G4 iMac OSX 10.4.7 / Photoshop CS.

Works fine here - I just get the “Rasterize Generic PDF Format” window in PS.

Cheers
Nolan

Hi Nolan,
Can you tell me what you get after PS. The PDF part works fine.

It’s when I try to import a .psd file into TBS that I get the problem mentioned.

I create a drawing in TBS and choose “Export Drawing To PDF”.
This PDF I import into Photoshop and apply a Dry Brush effect.
This file I save as PSD or PNG (they work both) and import into TBS,
(both images have transparent backgrounds).

All works fine and smooth. No messages during the import process.

Cheers
Nolan

Got it!

It was a preference setting in PS CS2:

File Handling > “Maximize PSD & PSB File Compatability” = Always

Thanks for your help Nolan!

Quote from photographytalk.net: "Most applications can’t really open psd files; they open the flattened composite created when you save with Maximize Compatibility on. If it is turned off there is no flattened composite and the application can’t open it. The down side is that this increases file size quite a bit when turned on."

Quote from adobepress.com:
“Always Maximize Compatibility for Photoshop (PSD) Files. We used to think that the Always Maximize Compatibility for Photoshop (PSD) Files feature (previously known as “Maximize Backwards Compatibility in Photoshop Format,” “Include Composited Image with Layered Files,” or “2.5 Format Compatibility”) was completely brain-dead. Now we think it’s only “mostly useless.” Basically, when this checkbox is turned on, Photoshop saves a flattened version of your layered image along with the layered version. The result: if you give the file to someone who is using Photoshop 2.5 (we don’t know anyone who does), they can open it. Of course, if they do anything to the file and resave it, then all your layers are deleted. Not very helpful.

The main problem is that this feature (which is on by default) makes your image sizes larger on disk (sometimes several times larger) than they would otherwise be.

We’ve always said: turn this off and leave it off. However, there are two very good exceptions. First, leave it turned on if you’re using some other program that claims to open native Photoshop files, like Macromedia FreeHand, but which requires this flattened version to work. A second reason to leave it on is that future versions of Photoshop may interpret blending modes slightly differently than they do today. Adobe won’t say what might change (or even if there will be changes), but if they do change something, and that change affects the look of your file, then you would at least be able to recover the flattened version if there is one. That said, we would still rather leave this option turned off, and just keep an archived, flattened version of color-critical images.”