Transparency Gradient?

Hey Animators,

I’m playing around in a demo version, and was just wondering if I can make a drawing that has 100% opacity at its head, but 100% transparency at its feet. A ghost, in other words, fading away at the bottom. I see there is a uniform transparency module, but no way to make it a gradient, as I can do in CorelDraw, for example.

Thanks, I’d love to know if Toon Boom Animate Pro can accomplish this. Cheers.

Using Animate 2, so can’t speak about Animate 2 Pro…
You might be better off using a Mask instead of the Transparency Effect…
If you like, here is a simple project-file:
(file has been removed)
You might have to render the view to see the effect…

Regards
Nolan

Thank you Nolan and Lilly!

Nolan, your file is exactly what I needed. The result is exactly what I wanted:

http://youtu.be/ESUPV2UaSUM

There’s a weird banding caused by the glow (barely noticable in this youtube vid), but I see that it doesn’t occur when I render frames, only when exporting a movie.

Thanks again, I’m slowing working through the list of everything I want to accomplish, and so far Toon Boom is ready and able.

That is a beautiful shot!

Oh & Nolan, excellent tip (just tried it)

T

You can always paint with a colour pot that has a gradient in it, as well, and make one of the colours have an alpha of zero.

~Lilly

For banding, when you export images, they are uncompressed, so there’s no banding there. It’s when you export a movie, as it does the compression, it gathers like colours together and you get banding. You can try the H.264 export, with Keyframes: All, but there may be additional processing that’s done on the import to YouTube that will bring the banding back.

~Lilly