traditional paper

i would like to do a traditional, paper animation. i have a port-a-disc animation disc, except i have one question. does it make any difference to the program if i use the top or bottom pegs, and if so, which one should i use? thanks in advance

Which program are you using? Are you using Animate Pro or regular Animate? With Animate, you don’t have the option of doing the optical registration that utilises the peg bar to line up the drawings.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

i have regular animate. do i just trace over the lines, or do i do something else?

Well, regular Animate wasn’t set up to do traditional animation easily. What you can do is, you can draw your drawings on paper, then you can scan them in using either our software or your scanner’s software, but you’ll have to be careful about making sure that your drawings are lined up correctly. Then when you import the files in, you may have to make adjustments, and then you will have to manually remove the peg bars yourself, by selecting and deleting them.

I hope this helps.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

what do you mean by, removing the peg bars? when i scan in the paper, it just has holes, not full bars. thanks :smiley:

unpaint the peg holes. Do you have a large format scanner? Larger then the typical home scanners that are about 9 inches by 11 inches? And does the lid of your scanner have room to accommadate the pegs of your peg bar if you taped it just outside of the scanner bed? Ussually there is a foam core sheet attached to he lid that covers the scanning surface but the rest ofthe lid is ussually hollow with braces that create a grid of boxes to gives the lid structural strength. If so, attach your peg bar on the outside edge of your scanner bed (not to the lid bu the scanner itself) making sure that the pegs are inside these hollow boxes when the lid is down, and use a field guide to ensure that you artwork stays within the scanning area and where you should securr the peg bar on the scanner. That way the drawings should stay aligned ith each other and yoy won’t have peg holes to remove from the vectorized drawings. If you do try this, use the metal pegbars work best because they are ussually thinner then the plastic ones, which will allow the lid to close better.