Tracing?

What I want to do is import an image for tracing, or just import an image cut it in half and do southpark type animation. When I import any image from jpeg-tga, it appears, but then when going to the ‘drawing’ element it dissapears. I’ve tried making it a background and everything. Perhaps I missed the bigger picture?

i think u should try Camera view :slight_smile:

the image is there (for the rendered film too), but in order to see it you must switch on the light bulb (in the main menu or key ‘L’)
cheers.
rob

I tried lightbulg, that’s just switch to static light or something and I have the same problem. Camera view did it for me! ;D Thanks for the quick help people! Well appreciated!

For the benefit of other readers I will try to give a more complete conceptual answer. You are asking two seperate questions (1) is how can a bit mapped image be used for tracing? and (2) how can multiple bit mapped images be used as part of a cut out animation?

In the first case you need to be working in drawing view as if you were at your drawing table and therefore you want to have your image back lighted so that you can trace off of it on to a clean sheet of drawing paper. This requires the following. You must first import the bit mapped image into an image element. Then you will add a drawing element to use for your clean sheets of paper. Next you need to be sure to place them on the drawing board in the correct logical order. The thing to be traced needs to be below the clean sheet of paper. You will be working from your exposure sheet. The third icon from the right at the top of the exposure sheet is used to toggle the element list. This will display your current elements in their stacking order. You need to drag and drop the image element until it is below the drawing element of your clean sheet of paper. Otherwise you can’t trace it because it won’t be seen when you turn on the back light and select your drawing element. So now that you have your elements stacked logically you turn on the back light. View>Turn Auto Light Table On and select your blank sheet of paper drawing element in the exposure sheet and you are ready to use the tools of your choice to trace your bit mapped image.

In the second case where you want to use several images to make an animation you will need to prepare those images in a seperate application such as photoshop before you import them into TBS. Then you will import each image into a different image element on your exposure sheet. Now you can switch to camera view, attach your pegs and arrange their hierarchy and using key frames animate your cut out images. Conceptually this is like using bits of construction paper made into body parts and then arranging and manipulating them under the camera on a camera stand taking a photo of each composited image one frame at a time as you move about your construction paper parts.

Hopefully this will help readers understand the concepts of the two different processes. -JK

Wow, that definately helped! I’m getting a decent scanner soon and prefer drawing on paper than with my tablet. I’ll be making cut-out animation soon enough!