Total newbie simple question - please help

I feel so dumb for asking this, but how do I make each frame of a drawing “independent” from which it was copied? For example, I create a short cycle but I want the next cycle to be independent from the first one, so that I can make changes. So far, if I copy and paste a frame or frames, it is still techincally the same one, so a change to one will also affect the other "copy."

Thank you.

Some basic terminology help: A frame is not a drawing, a drawing is a cell. There us only one instance of a specific frame in a timeline IE only one frame number 5 or frame number 7 etc. The layers used to composite frames are called elements. Each element can contain one or more cells (drawings). Each drawing or cell is uniquely named. A cell can be assigned to one or more frames and each frame assignment is called an exposure. If you copy and paste a specific cell you are just assigning it to an additional frame exposure. If you “duplicate” a cell then that duplicate is given a unique name and is a totally independent drawing and can be modified with out effecting the original cell from which you made the duplicate. You can learn more about duplicating cells on this page of the Cartooning in Toon Boom WIKI. -JK

COPYing, PASTING, AND DUPLICATING

Thanks for helping to explain the terminology. Sorry about my ignorance. I read your link but I’m still a little confused on how I would copy a series of cells. The “add exposure” and “duplicate” seems to only duplicate one cell, not all the ones I highlighted. I’m sure I’m overlooking something really simple.

OK, that’s a great question. Here is one technique to accomplish your objective. It is more than a newbie exercise so you will have to use the TBS library management system. If you need a primer on libraries read these:

LIBRARY

TEMPLATES

The short version is that a template is used to make a copy of art work for reuse.

In your situation you would follow these steps:

1. highlight (select) the sequence of cells in the timeline that you want to duplicate.

2. be sure that the Library panel is visible and find the catalog named Local.

3. drag your selection from the time line to the Local library catalog to create a template from your selection.

4. once you have this template in your Local library you can drag the template from the library back to your timeline to whatever starting frame location you choose (you want to drag and drop the template on the same element from which you made the original selection for this example) .

That’s it. You now have an exact copy of the original sequence of cells except that every cell is a duplicate of the originals so that means they are uniquely named differently and can be modified without effecting the original cells you used to make your template. Also the template is not effected by any changes you make to this copy from the template so you can reuse the original sequence again from the library as many times as you want and each instance is unique from the others. This is not a simple copy and paste of cells but actually a method of duplicating a sequence that you want to modify without changing the originals.-JK

^A bit complicated but thank you. I appreciate it. I’m so lost at this new programme.

Is there a way to apply a feather effect to a shadow? I just did the shadow “element” but the only option I have is opacity. Also, how can I apply various effects like "feather and “smooth” to all the cells in the element? I noticed the option is only available when I actually select the drawing within the individual cell.

I don’t have an answer to that one. The drop shadow doesn’t allow anything other than opacity to be controlled. And there isn’t a way to feather or smooth multiple cells in a single action you would have to do them one at a time as far as I know. Perhaps someone will teach us both a new trick on that one. -JK