Toon Boom vs. CrazyTalk Animator

Yo, I’ve recently started playing with Toon Boom and I think its awesome!!! But I do find it a little hard to use. Anime Studio is also pretty hard for me as I dont have any drawing skills. I played with CrAzyTalk5 about 2 years ago, and then CrazyTalk Animator.

My question is, can I create actors from photos in Toon Boom the same way I can do it with CrazyTalk Animator?

Here is a link if you don’t know what Im talking about >> http://goo.gl/fRMT1

I’d appreciate any and all help.

:wink:

Basically, CrazyTalk can only allows you to animate a photo with one character dimension.
Toon Boom is more flexible, but it takes time.
If what you want is a quick solution, CrazyTalk Animator is a good option for sure.

One character dimension? You mean 2D animation right?

Because I did find out how to use the 3D camera systems in CrazyTakl Animator which allowed me to zoom and pan just like in a full 3D environment.

One character dimension? You mean 2D animation right?

Because I did find out how to use the 3D camera systems in CrazyTakl Animator which allowed me to zoom and pan just like in a full 3D environment.

I believe what hook is referring to is that if using the pre-bundled characters, they only have one perspective. Many people using ToonBoom products specifically, but others do as well is create a minimum of three views for the characters they create. A front or 3/4 view, a profile view, and a back view. In CTA, you’re stuck with what you get, a single view or dimension. I like CTA for quick animations, but also find it very limiting. I will be watching it evolve over time, and one day it might very well be a serious contender in 2D animation, but for now, it’s merely a novelty… Something that is fun to play with, and even good for some previz work, but it has a long way to go before it can be taken seriously.

Hey guys, check this out.

I found this animated cartoon intro for SchoolTube that was made with CrazyTalk Animator.

Not bad if you ask me >>> http://goo.gl/UHysd

;D

Hey HookV.

Yes, I know what you mean. You mention a very good point of only getting one perspective. I also wonder how CTA will evolve.

Any suggestions on how you would improve it?

Hi there,

I am not very familiar with CrazyTalk Animator, but I did take a look at that clip. This animation would be easy to achieve with Toon Boom Studio, and the technique we would use to describe it would be Cut-out animation. Basically you create puppets by breaking down a drawing (or imported bitmap image) into pieces (ex. arms and legs) and animate them with the sceneplanning tools. This is a great time saving technique as once the character is created, you can save it in the library and use it over and over again, without having to redraw.
Check out Chapters 9-11 in the TBS user guide, and try the the cut-out templates included in the TBS library. Also, there are quite a few references on the Toonboom website to learn cut-out animation, either in the Tips and Tricks section, or by purchasing some of the Workout Series.

Hope this helps,

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay!!

This is great info on Toon Boom. Thank you for sharing.

Can you provide us the link on where to find these TB tutorials?

thanks again!

Hi there,

You can find all the tutorials and templates we offer on the TBS How to page:

http://www.toonboom.com/products/toon-boom-studio/how-to/

In there, check out the tips and tricks for some free advice. If you’re looking for some more detailed info on cut-out animation, you could also take a look at the Workout Series.

Also, as I mentioned, chapters 9-11 in the user guide are a great resource for cut-out animtion.

Good luck, and post your questions here.

Lindsay