Toon Boom Studio V3

On a scale from 1 to 10, what would you people give the software?

rob
p.s. i’m on a pc now. dunno about mac version.

Since you have posed this question on the Mac vs. PC page of this forum, are you wondering if Toon Boom Studio works better on a PC or on a Mac?

Rob, who is on a PC, gave TBS a 9 rating. I’m on a Mac and, due only to a few bugs that still haven’t been ironed out of the new Mac Version 3, I am also giving it a 9. Once those bugs are ironed out, I’d happily give Toon Boom a full 10. For the money, it is amazing, useful software. Not perfect and not the easiest to learn, but well worth the investment in my opinion.

As so many users have noted over the years on these forums, if you can afford it, get Macromedia Flash AND Toon Boom Studio if you plan to create 2D vector animation. They are similar in some ways, but each program offers different features. You don’t get 'em all with either.

I like to draw directly into the program with a Wacom tablet/stylus and I love the Rotating Light Table when I’m drawing. Flash has nothing like that and one can’t swivel the canvas around when drawing which I do with my tracing pad when working up my sketches and with my watercolor paper (stapled to a heavy corrugated board) when I’m adding watercolor.

I also like Toon Boom’s pen/brush versatility. Unlike Flash, you can fine-tune your brush and really personalize it. I use a flexible nib for my commercial illustrations and the Toon Boom pen, while not nearly as sensitive as the real thing, is much, much better than the Flash pen for natural, flexible line weights.

You may get quite different opinions from the one I’m offering, so take what I say knowing it’s merely one artist’s take on the two vector 2D software programs.

As far as whether Toon Boom works better in PC or Mac, I imagine it depends upon which platform you are most comfortable with. I’ve been a Mac user since I began using a computer. Most commercial illustrators I know use Macs and most of my major clients (like Time, Newsweek, NY Times, Wall Street Journal, etc.) use Macs in their art departments.

PCs have more options out there in softwareland, so that’s a consideration, especially if you already have an investment in software for a PC.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Best Wishes,
-Elwood

I just basically wanted to know what people on both Mac and PC thought of the software.

i’d have given it a round 10, but i always think there is a room for improvement :wink:
rob