Toon Boom Harmony 20 Premium very slow

A few months ago I started working on Toon Boom Harmony 20 Premium but lately I am experiencing problems. Basically the program becomes very slow, freezes and unresponsive. This happens when I work on the color layer, if I remove it the program works without problems.

The pc however continues to work without problems and GPU and Ram have values in the norm.

What can i do?

PC specs:
Lenovo ideapad L340 Gaming
Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
Intel® Core™ i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Intel® UHD Graphics 630
128 GB SSD
1TB HDD

Without seeing what you are doing in the colour layer it will be hard to help with the issue.

Ok, How can I show you?

You can also try explaining what you are trying to do. Take a screen capture of Harmony if you have to.

If you are trying to paint, fill in your drawings, any gaps can slow down/hang the program while it tries to work.

Actually, I still drawing with pencil but much more, to fill my animation. The problematic layer is “colore”.

This is when the program freezes.

When you said ‘the color layer’ I though you were talking about the sub layer, not a drawing layer named colore.

Your animation is very artistic. Is the hair and shading (neck/arm) all done with the pencil, that is a-lot of line work. So are you trying to draw (pencil tool) in the colore (drawing layer) that is when the Harmony freezes? If you draw in any other layer Harmony runs fine? Have you tried making a new layer and replacing the colore layer.

Is your Harmony 20 updated to the latest version 20.0.5, build 20.0.5.17671?

Actually, yes. If I draw in any other layer Harmony runs fine. What does it mean? Unfortunately, I’m not very familiar yet. Should I activate the color layer?

No, I haven’t tried to making a new layer and replacing the colore layer. How can I do it?

Btw, I have Harmony 20 version 20.0.3. (16743)

Learning about the colour layer and anything else for that matter is up to you. Check out learn.toonboom.com or search youtube.

Maybe try resaving your scene using ‘save as’ this way you still have a backup of your original scene file. Then delete the colore (drawing layer). I just select the layer and hit ‘-’ minus button just above it. Try making a fresh drawing layer (new name), and see how it works out.

I would update Harmony 20 to 20.0.5 if anything.

Thank you so much! I’ll try! So the PC specs is ok? It’s not about my computer, right?

Your welcome!
PC specs are alright, more RAM is always better. It all comes down to what your trying to do.

So, I delete the drawing layer “colore” and I make a new one but it happens again. After a while, start slowing down. I mean, when I draw the stroke doesn’t appear immediately. What can I do?

It could be the artist style you are doing with complexity of the line art you are doing with (hair/arm shading/crosshatching). You might want to try moving your project from vector art to Bitmap art layers.

Did you update Harmony 20?

Getting the “Failed to uncompress cisco’s openh264 codec. The file may be corrupted or the utility to uncompress the file could be missing” error

Whats the problem, found this resource, python - Could not open codec 'libopenh264': Unspecified error - Stack Overflow