Toon Boom Harmony 14 Basic Tool Freezing

I’ve been using Toon Boom Harmony Essentials for a year or so now, and starting a few months ago I noticed that certain tools would freeze completely when I use them. For instance, when I use the line tool, the line will start being created, but then just stop no matter where else I move my mouse. I can’t make it continue, and I can’t hit undo to get rid of the line either. I have to click elsewhere on the screen to make it go away, and I can’t do anything while it’s there.

This also happens when I just try and move the screen every other time by using the space bar and dragging. The screen will just stop moving with the mouse, and remain frozen. Then I click, and it jumps back to where it was before.

These bugs have made it incredibly hard to work, as even basic tasks can become frustrating or even impossible in some circumstances. For extra info, I am using Harmony Essentials 14 on a 2015 MacBook Pro with Sierra.

At first I thought this was a problem with the individual file, and then that it was just a little bug that would go away soon. But this has continued and been a hinderance for a very long time. I have no idea if there is a way to fix this (and I’ve tried recommendations from these forums which didn’t solve anything), or if an update is coming, or if anyone even knows this is a problem. It seems like they haven’t tried to update and solve problems like this for a really long time. This has become rather frustrating at this point, so I’d greatly appreciate any updates or help that anyone can offer me. Thanks so much for your time.

You need to describe your system and describe the details of what has been suggested and what you have done that did not work. Did you contact support and receive advice?

What other details of my system do I need to describe? And this is my first time seeking assistance to answer your question. I’m just trying to see if anyone has encountered this issue, and if there is an easy or known fix that I can do already out there, negating the need to contact support.

A hardware report would help. Especially the details of the graphic card model of this computer.
The operating system version is also useful to know.

Okay thanks! Here’s what I seem to have.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

The system’s graphic card is on the low-end side of the graphic card
performance spectrum. It could be a problem if there are several
high-resolution monitors, other programs open using graphics and
images loaded in web pages. It can also be an issue depending on
what’s loaded in the Harmony project itself, for example if you have
high-resolution backgrounds for long pans or if you are using many
bitmap files and textures.

Check the power-saver features and always plug the system into a
power-outlet rather than relying on battery power as the graphic
card could go into power-save mode giving less performance when
you’re on battery power (to extend battery life).

If the project is on an external drive try moving it to a location on the
internal hard drive. Avoid linking the project folder to cloud storage.

Thanks so much for your advice. I still had the same issue however when I tried using the line tool on a completely blank new project, no other applications open, and plugged into power. I’ve used this same computer with harmony in the past and I never had this problem. My best guess is that is started when I updated the OS. I don’t know how that would affect the graphics card, so I assume for now that that isn’t the problem. Thanks again so much for your help!

Are you drawing exclusively with a mouse? (Yikes!) Perhaps only coincidentally but both examples you described involved using the mouse. It may not mean anything, just pointing it out.

Sometimes people say “mouse” when they are using a tablet pen thinking of the common thread between the two. If you are using a tablet and you updated the OS the tablet’s driver might be having trouble with the OS update and be in need of its own update. (Just speculating). There may or may not be a tablet update ready if this is the case. Not everyone experiences the same thing and it takes time to test and address user feedback. Had this been a Windows system I would consider the same potential with the graphics card driver however given you have a Mac which is a relatively closed system the OS update should not disrupt the graphics card…I would expect at least, but problems do pop up.

Funnily enough that was more of a coincidence, as I usually say mouse even when I’m using my tablet and pen, but I think you’re actually on to something. I just spent 10 minutes trying to get the bug to happen while plugged into my drawing tablet, and it didn’t. I feel like an idiot for not noticing that it only appears to be happening when I’m not using the drawing tablet. Still weird that I can’t draw lines with my mouse when not plugged in to a tablet, but at least it seems to work consistently when I am using a pen and all that. Thanks so much! Who knows how long it would’ve taken for me to figure that out…

If you have both hooked up pay attention to where the stylus is or whether something could be resting on the tablet surface.

When I had both a mouse and tablet attached sometimes I was surprised by unexpected behavior and eventually sourced it to the mouse picking up some sort of indirect activity or if I was using the mouse I might have placed something on the tablet, (I have it to my right with the keyboard in front of me rather than have the tablet in front of me when drawing). The mouse was the laser type so if it happened to tilt or get placed on something with an irregular surface it would be stimulated. An old fashioned movement based mouse would be less prone to these things but still vulnerable to a degree.

I have since switched to a trackball which stays pretty much idle when not trying to use it.

Along the same line of thought here is accidentally doing something with the keyboard while using a mouse or tablet.

If you have an unconscious habit of activating something hooked up but not being used it could look like a recurring bug.