Toon Boom Animate Pro 3 or Toon Boom Harmony 11

So this is a question that gets asked alot, but considering that Toon Boom Harmony 11 has been out for a few months now, I think it’s time to ask it again.
I’ve been thinking of starting an animation project recently and I want to make sure I have everything I need in a program. But at the same time I don’t want to end up paying a lot of money for features I may not even need, that’s why I feel so conflicted between the two products. I plan on doing a frame by frame animation. Some of the main features I’m really looking for in them is good brushes for rough ad sketching, good line quality for cleaning up,versatile FX for lighting and and other kinds of post production, and of couse a proper camera. I have no use for the rigging or game system.
Looking at comparisons between between the two when Harmony 10 was still out, it looked like the only difference ( or at least in the frame by frame department) was that Harmony had better brushes. now that the new one is out I’m not sure what to think. And then, of course, there’s the price. Paying a couple thousand outright would be a bit much, but I’ve heard that Toon Boom has options to pay in a monthly subscription, like Photoshop. I’d also like to know more about the “pay-per-project”. Has anyone else tried these options ?
If anyone has any useful opinions on any of these subject I’d really appreciate hearing it.

You will have to decide whether my opinion is useful or not. I am not a professional animator. I did some research before purchasing Animate Pro 3 and have continued to take in as much information as I can about the products. I have experience with different forms of art including a variety of software but I am new to animation. Since acquiring AP3 I have been using the forum as a source of topics to learn by researching for answers to user questions.

Having read your comments I would go with Animate Pro 3 rather than Harmony. Animate 3 and Animate Pro 3 inherited a lot of Harmony’s Drawing tools. Both being node based Animate Pro 3 and Harmony are closer to one another for frame by frame animation and effects.

With the trend in animation steering away from frame by frame and towards cut-out animation attention appears to have been focused on expanding features beneficial to cut-out more so than expanding frame by frame features. If you are doing frame by frame Harmony’s advantages over Animate Pro 3 decrease.

Harmony does have a lot more effect modules, 3D features, networking and batch processing options and the Curve Deformer. Some features have more depth in Harmony but most things in Animate Pro 3 are identical in Harmony. Anything could justify the cost if it was something useful to you. The price difference is subjective, TB has generous payment options and you can always upgrade later.

This comparison chart is from the time of Harmony 10 but the essential differences should be the same:

http://www.toonboom.com/animation-software/compare-animation-software

Look the row that only have an X in Harmony and ask yourself if you need them.

The main differences, as o0Ampy0o mentioned, are at the effects level. One major Harmony feature AP3 doesn’t have is the curve deformer, but if you won’t be making cut-out that might be less useful (though it can be used as an effect on itself bending any piece of animation or bitmap).

Then there’s the integration of 3D models, twice the effects modules (turbulence was added before 11, now there’s also the mesh warp) and particles. If you want to make sophisticated effects inside your animation software without the need to use After Effects or a similar software, the particle system is a big plus, with around 25 pre-built particle effects and the possibility to make your own from scratch.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone heard any rumors about the Curve Deformer coming to Animate Pro 3?

That would be extremely useful.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Eddie