Toon Boom Animate crashes..is it a Windows Vista problem?

A friend of mine just got Toon Boom Animate for Xmas and she’s been having some major headaches. Every time she opens the app it crashes after rendering two or three frames. Now, is this a compatibility issue with Windows Vista or is this app just a wee bit buggy? Here’s what she’s working with:

E Machines T 5324
320GB hard drive
1 GB RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce6150SE nForce 430
32 Bit operating system

What can be the problem? Is Animate compatible with the above or does my friend have something to worry about? Also, she doesn’t have a Wacom tablet or anything…she does all her stuff with her mouse and usually works with Animate in pencil mode.

Did she run the installer by right clicking the installer an choosing the “run as administrator” option?

I have found that for most programs to run correctly in Vista, the installer needs to be excuted this way. I’ve had the same problem with Digital Pro before removing it and reinstalling it with the above method. Maybe this will help? I’ve only installed the PLE version of animate to test it and the PLE version is stable and has not crashed once since I’ve installed when it first became available.

Same here…I have the learning edition as well and have never had a crash problem. I’ll pass on the info and we’ll see what happens.

I am having the same problem as the first poster. I un-installed Animate, and re-installed it using the “run as administrator” suggestion, but the program still crashes. I’m also running Vista.
Animate crashes on my machine after I try using any brush or pencil immediately after opening the program. Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

What are your computer’s specs? Most of the time this is due to unsupported video card.

Best regards,

Ugo

The computer I’m working on is a Dell Inspirion 1525.
Intel Core Duo 2 CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz
2GB RAM
Video: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset
Does this help? Probably not the optimal machine to run Animate on.

Hi,

The Intel Chipset video card is most likely the cause of your issue there. There is some specific part of OpenGL 2.0 we are using in Animate that may not be fully supported by this specific card. Else then that the rest of your machine seems to be sufficient to run the software.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi,

Not sure this will completely fix your problem but you may be able to stabilize the software a little more following the instructions from stevem641 in the following thread:

http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/digital/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=728;start=msg3213#msg3213

Best regards,

Ugo