Toon Boom Animate 3

So when is the next version scheduled to come out? I assume you can’t let the cat out of the bag prematurely or people will stop purchasing the current version, right? What will be the new features? Will there be a bone function similar to TBS6? Can you tell us what’s on the horizon?

One thing that has been a bit of a bug, not for me but possibly for others, is that TB frequently has special deals that suddenly appear on the website. I often wonder what happens with someone who just a day before the sale decided to buy and then is saddened that, if he only knew a sale was coming up, could’ve saved a considerable amount of money. If I was going to buy a particular piece of software from TB and wasn’t in some dire emergency, I’d just sit and wait for the next deal and then snatch it up.

I extremely appreciate the folks at Toon Boom, I wouldn’t be animating without their terrific software. Not only that, but the fantastic online step by step tutorials! But I wonder about things like those I’ve mentioned above.

Thanks for the reply, Lily! Yeah, you guys are terrific! Can’t say enough good about TB! I just wrote to see if could squeeze some info out of one of you–LOL! Curiosity is a strong human trait!

I’ve been pouring over the manual and tutorial videos ever since I got AP2 as I have some animation jobs coming up soon. At the same time, I just bought the book the Animator’s Survival Kit by Richard Williams so I can learn the basics of animation and hone my skills. There’s just so much to learn.

On another topic, I recently became aware of the raging controversy regarding traditional animation vs cutout/retro animation. Wow! I had no idea there was such a debate going on. For me, I love animation whether it be 2D, 3D, stop motion, cutout, Flash, or whatever. It’s all cool to me. I could never produce if it wasn’t for software like TB–just don’t have the time!

Reminds me of how when I first started doing layout. I began with rubber cement, then glue sticks, then wax, exacto knifes, layout boards, and so on. When desktop publishing came along I ditched it all and never looked back. Art and the whole world marches on and changes and continually, progresses forward as it should.

Woah, am I off topic now… So “bones” you said?

I just downloaded Animate Pro 2 and love the video tutorials! I haven’t decided if I’m going to upgrade yet but was wondering what are the differences between version 1 and 2? I would hate to upgrade and version 3 is right around the corner :-[

Thanks for any feed back on this subject.

-Wil

I keep my copy of that (and Tony White’s Animator’s Workbook) handy. I’ve been doing their lessons in Animate to help me learn the tools. Both orient towards frame-by-frame but I’ve found that I can adapt them to cutouts, too.

We don’t have a release date for the next version of Animate. I can’t talk about too many of the new features that will be there, but I can say that there will be some equivalent to the Bone feature in TBS6.

I think the best thing to do regarding the specials thing is that if you want to buy something on special, just wait for the next special. As you mentioned, there are frequent specials out there. It’s like when you go shopping for a car, or for clothes, you know that there are certain times of the year when there are going to be specials, so you might choose to wait for those times of the year. You can be guaranteed that there will always be specials around holidays, with a few additional specials in between.

Thanks for the positive words!!

~Lilly

Well one of the nice things about our software is that you can do a wide variety of different styles of animation with it. I’m just like you - I love animation, whether it’s stop motion, 3D, 2D, as long as it has a great story and some fun artwork, I’ll enjoy it!

~Lilly

I just responded in your other thread, but if you go to http://beta.toonboom.com/professionals/animate-pro/features and look at the “Detailed Features List” this will show you the new and improved features since the last version.

~Lilly