Toon Boom 20 does not seem to work after updating Mac OS to Big Sur

I just bought a brand new 2020 iMac and updated to Toon Boom 20. Worked great. Then I made the mistake of updating to the latest mac OS, Big Sur, and Toon Boom no longer works at all. I can open the program, but as soon as I try to resize the window, an error occurs and the program crashes. Every time. Not sure what I’m going to do about this, but if you haven’t updated to Big Sur, I would recommend against it!

Here’s the first part of the error message I get every time:

Process: Harmony Premium [535]
Path: /Volumes/VOLUME/*/Harmony 20 Premium.app/Contents/MacOS/Harmony Premium
Identifier: com.toonboom.harmony.full.Harmony 20 Premium
Version: 20.0 (20.0.1.16044)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Harmony Premium [535]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-12-06 12:20:21.731 -0500
OS Version: macOS 11.0.1 (20B50)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 5.0.1 (18P2561)
Anonymous UUID: 60AE06C1-3B18-6B2A-FE4A-7978E9225EB1

Time Awake Since Boot: 49 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Notes: Translocated Process

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [535]

Allright, I ran this problem by tech support and they told me, “yeah, it doesn’t work on Big Sur, not sure when it will work again. Sorry.”

So a professional program, for which I am paying 80 per month, stops working in the middle of a project after a routine update. And I’m trying to find where Toon Boom mentions this on their website- a warning not to update would have been most helpful!

So I suppose you tell your clients- sorry you can’t have this file today, my program stopped working. Sorry. When will it be available, you ask? I don’t know. Sorry. My dog ate my homework. I’m unprofessional. Don’t hire me again. I don’t need to pay rent.

Did you ever recieve a solution?

I have the exact same problem, I figured downloading Big Sur would be fine as its been out for months so any bugs would be worked out

Really shocked at Toon Boom’s response considering the amount I pay for the software! I’m a full time animator so definitely can’t afford to go for an unspecified amount of time without the program I need to actually do any work…

Has anyone got found a solution? Im just looking into how to wipe my computer and reset the OS at the moment : /

if you’ve installed big sur, best thing to get back to work quickly would be to set up a second partition on your startup drive with your previous OS and install harmony on that second partition. then you can continue using the big sur partition when harmony is updated to allow for it, and not have to do any wipes/reinstalls (you can remove the 2nd partition to reclaim your space when you are ready, or keep it around for similar situations).

big sur is not at all a “routine update”, it’s a major, milestone OS, the one where they are incrementing the “10” (!!!). don’t assume any software or hardware devices, from ANY vendor/developer, will be compatible until it is stated as such, even a few months after the OS is released. i’m still using OS 10.14 for compatibility with all kinds of software. 10.15 was a problematic OS that i’ve successfully avoided thus far, and i wouldn’t touch big sur with a 10 foot pole until 2022 (at the soonest!)

—[ edit ]—

well, my above opinions about waiting out an OS upgrade still stand, however i do see that big sur is stated as a supported OS (i’m assuming just for h20, even though the page says h17) :
https://docs.toonboom.com/help/harmony-20/premium/about/system-requirements.html

…soooo, yeah, toon boom really should provide some clear language about big sur support. can’t state the OS is supported and then say in emails that it isn’t. i still maintain that big sur should be avoided for a good while, regardless of harmony being in play.

btw i do agree that the lack of verified big sur support should be more prominently indicated.

a sticky at the top of this support discussion board would be one of many fine places, toonboom staff…

Any updates on how TB works with Big Sur, please? All issues resolved? I’ve been holding off on upgrading to Big Sur specifically because of potential Toon Boom issues. Any input much appreciated, thanks.

As of July 20, 2021 update Release Notes do not state full support for Big Sur,

Here is a Harmony 20 system requirement page that does not state Harmony 17 at the top unlike the one mentioned above. It would be a good place to mention it but it says nothing about Big Sur. The way they list the three preceding OS versions indicates which are required and supported.
https://desk.toonboom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050427213-Toon-Boom-Harmony-20-System-Requirements

If you look around TB.com they seem to post things to the website then forget about them. Then they will post updated information in an entirely different area and leaving conflicting information.

This Help Center page still speaks of Catalina and Harmony 17. There should be a button for Big Sur, one for the Apple Mi chip and the button for Harmony 17 installation guide should be for Harmony 20.
https://desk.toonboom.com/hc/en-us

They now have the Apple M1 chip compatibility to deal with as overlapping Big Sur.

Only a relative minority of entities upgrade their hardware just to have the latest and greatest.

Intel Macs will be running Harmony for quite a while longer.

To be fair, no one using a system for business should have things set to automatically update. This scenario is exactly why it is a terrible oversight. Save the updates and maintenance for a time between projects. There is a degree of professional user responsibility factoring in here.

07/30/21 I upgraded to a Mac mini M1 8x8 core CPU / GPU running Big Sur 11.4. I installed the latest updated version of Harmony Premium 20 perpetual license. So far I have not done much but it opens and allows me to do everything I have tried.

UPDATE 08/02/21: I do see one problem so far. I had created a simple drawing and filled it with a color. I saved the project file. Later when I opened this project file the drawing had broken. That is, the lines had separated and shifted slightly. but it remained filled.

With plans to keep experimenting I created an ellipse within the same project file on the same drawing layer. Upon release of the mouse cursor the ellipse immediately broke. A section was broken away and displaced inside the ellipse. Although this left a large line gap in the ellipse it filled with the paint bucket. The filled color in the area of the line gap looked like a torn edge of paper.

The same thing happened when I created a drawing on a second layer.

So, I doubt anyone is going to escape issues until TB formally acknowledges compatibility with Big Sur using Intel and then Big Sur or Monterey(?) using M1.

It is now July 2021 and plenty of sotware still has not been updated to run Big Sur and / or Apple M1 Silicon.

These are significant game changers.