Toom Boom 5.0 playback issue

The last time I used Toon Boom was about two weeks ago and all was running fine. Today, if I click playback, none of my wav file sound effects are syncing correctly to the frame(s) I assign them to. If I scrub the timeline, all works fine. If I hit enter for quickview rendered to flash, all works fine. If I export it, it works fine.

Is there an issue with the latest Quicktime version that is causing the problem? As I stated, I have made many animations and have never come across this problem before. I only have two layers, a drawing, and sound layers, I am in the camera view when clicking the play button. My frame rate is correct and all my preferences are fine. One last thing. After playing, rewinding and playing again will cause the sync to become more out of whack.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
James

Are you using MP3 for your sound? Could you try Wav or aiff in case it is streaming isue?

If it still does not work, please send me the project with issues so taht I can have a look.

Best regards,

Juho

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I used a wav file. Attached is the project.

It is a simple ball that bounces 3 times. I put the sound file on three different layers at the start of where ball hits the ground.

Why does playback not play it correctly? Is it the version of quicktime?

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks!

Hi James

The sound playback, Toon Boom Studio relies on Quick Time. I have done few tested that when the sound plays there is some delays when it starts in real time playback. I have tried by extending the scene 4 times (longer) and move the

sound accordingly, it does less off-sync. I could say it can be change of new version of Quick Time and/or the specs of the machine that also possibly slows down to play the sound. Or the playing animation is faster enough to wait the sound sync. When I was checking the final output, it looks OK. So I think it is only related the real time playback that sound delays.

My recommendation is to have the sound start from the starting of frame and also in one track.

Let me know if you have any further question.

Best regards,

Juho

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, it is only related to the real time playback. As I said earlier, I didn’t have this issue 2 weeks ago. I installed an older version of quick time and it still does it.
I’m not sure I understand exactly what you mean in your recommendation. Can you expound?

Thank you,

James

Hi James

As from my previous email, Toon Boom Studio relies on Quick Time for the sound. So it can be version of Quick Time and/or hardware. Things you can try is to test it with old version of Quick Time by rolling back or try sounds starting at frame one to see if new version of Quick Time accept this. To do so, you can create a sound track 32 frame long and three times bound sounds in that track matching with ball bouncing.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Juho

I installed the trial version of Toon Boom Animate on this same machine, followed the exact procedures as I did with Toom Boom Studio, and the playback works fine. They both use Quicktime for the playback. I also downloaded the trial version of Adobe Flash CS5, followed the same procedures, and the playback also works fine. It sounds like Toom Boom Studio is the issue.

As it appears from the forums, this has been an issue for quite awhile. Will this be fixed in Toon Boom Studio 6? If Toon Boom Animate allows me to place a sound bite anywhere I want without starting in frame one, why can’t studio? It seems like the only real solution is to apply all my sound tracks first, then animate to them like they did in the traditional golden days of animation, but this makes the product not flexible.

James

I’m working with Studio and experiencing the same issue. Wav files, streaming track, only two layers of black and white images - only one that actually moves. The audio is nowhere NEAR the playback when doing an in app Playback. This is a problem with the Toon Boom Studio Software, absolutely no doubt. It has nothing to do with Quick Time or the system setup.

Please, have the courage to ‘own’ this problem. I’m trying to get more animators on board with this app, but frankly something like this is embarrassing! This explains why Toon Boom is relatively unknown in the US - no one wants to get behind and promote an app that doesn’t work properly.