Too laggy to use.

Hi all,

I’ve used Animate Pro 2 for many years with few problems. I also make use of Adobe Creative Suite; they also ran smoothly.

PC specs: Windows 10 Home, Intel(R) Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 64-bit, NVidia GeForce GT 650M. Please excuse me if I missed anything.

A month or so ago, something really strange happened: Upon experimenting with a brand new file, I can use any of the tools in Animate Pro 2 (brush, fill, etc.) with no problems, except the Select tool.

Every time I try to do ANYTHING while using the Select tool, even simply using the menu at the top of the screen, there’s a ten second lag between each action. Completely unusuable; I can’t avoid using the Select tool.

Anyway, I thought “Hey, maybe it’s time I upgrade to Harmony 14. Why don’t I try the trial?” But when I tried it, the lag problem was even worse. Pretty much all tools, not just Select, have maybe 20 seconds lag with each action, so I really couldn’t experiment much with Harmony 14.

For comparison, I tried Adobe Animate, Photoshop, and After Effects on the same PC. To be fair, Photoshop and AE had longer startup times, but once they get running, they ran smoothly and I had no problems with their drawing/selecting tools. So I’m confused.

Is there anything I can do to fix the lag? Thanks in advance.

When something starts causing a performance problem on the computer,
check what was recently installed or changed. In your case it happened
over a month ago so you ignored the problem too long and probably
can’t remember accurately now what may have happened.

Toon Boom software uses OpenGL for display which not many other
programs on Windows do so it may be something isolated to that.

Try uninstalling/reinstalling the latest graphic card driver for your GeForce
card. If you haven a Intel graphic card also on the system, be aware that
a recent Windows update messed with the drivers of these cards so
they also need to be installed.

It may also help to undo the Windows update but chances are they’ll
just re-install it again next update.

If all else fails, contact support to have a look on the system.

Sneaky Windows updates. I do indeed have an Intel graphic card, and reinstalling its driver did seem to solve the issue; just had a decent two-hour session with Harmony. Thanks very much for your help.