Timeline shows that there are two different drawing cells even if they are the same.

Hopefully the resolution will be clear enough to illustrate my point.

Basically every time I do a drawing substitution (ie substitute drawing 1 to drawing 2) and I change it back to the original (ie swapping drawing 2 back to drawing 1) the timeline will show a split normally indicating a new drawing cell. Normally when the two cells are the same drawing the line will disappear. Hopefully the picture will illustrate it properly.

Have you experienced this when using drawings and not symbols as your image indicates you are using in this instance?

I think that’s a “feature”, not a “bug”. A few versions ago they changed this behaviour. I remember some sort of explanation for it but thinking that’s not really better in my opinion. I suppose it was considered useful to mark that you made a timing change on that spot, even if both drawings end up being the same. This will not be seen on the Xsheet, which is a better graphic interface for timings anyway (or maybe I’m old). That annoys me so when it happens I delete the “ghost” drawing and press F5 to refill the empty space. I don’t think there’s an option in Preferences to change this.

Luis Canau

It’s so annoying when it happens. I’m thinking that it could be a bug they couldn’t get rid of and just called it a brand new feature, lol.

I looked into this in more detail and I think this is due to a change in version 11, with the concept of “key exposure”. There are two icons on the timeline that allow to Add Key Exposure and Remove Key Exposure. Adding a key exposure in the timeline in the middle of a segment with a single drawing exposed will mark that segment to protect the change in timings you would made for the fist section. That is, if you have 10 frames exposed, you can add a key exposure in the middle and if you make a drawing substitution in the beginning it will change only the first 5 frames even though the following frames are exposed with the same drawing.

This also means that if you have something like
1 1 1 1 1 1
and change to
1 1 1 2 2 2
and then back to
1 1 1 1 1 1
you’ll get the mark in the middle so that you can change the first 3 frames (in this case) without changing the rest
1 1 1 | 1 1 1

But you can select the frame that starts the second segment and then click on the icon Remove Key Exposure and that will remove the segmentation of the exposure back to
1 1 1 1 1 1

So it’s a bit more practical than deleting and filling the exposure.

https://docs.toonboom.com/help/harmony-11/administration/Content/_CORE/Release_Notes/Harmony_11/001_Harmony_11_Release_Notes.html

Luis Canau

There is a custom script you can use to easily remove the split. It’s called Remove Duplicate Key Exposure.

You can right click on Timeline toolbar and select Customize….
From Toolbar Manager Dialogue, find and add Remove Duplicate Key Exposure to your toolbar.
You can now select any cells in Timeline and use the script to get rid of the split.

That’s great. Now, if instead of just working on a single split Remove Key Exposure would perform that operation on a selection instead of just exposing the first frame over everything, that script would be unnecessary.