thumbnail's layer tab display

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.
I’m on the trial version of storyboard pro 5.5 on a mac with sierra OS and have just started to work with the tutorials, however the thumbnails in my version have their layer tabs only displayed when I click on the arrow atop the thumbnail panel so the thumbnail is shown zoomed in and the stage view vanishes. However, I’d need both thumbnails and stage view displayed because I’d like to drag the bg layer of the first panel onto the following thumbnail’s bg layer tabs as it’s done in the “How to add panels” tutorial at about 3.05 , but without the layer tabs displayed aside the thumbnails this isn’t possible.
I don’t know if I clicked on some button to let them vanish, or if they weren’t ever displayed th first place. Restoring the default layout didn’t help anyway.
So, how can I get those layer tabs to be displayed again?
Thank you very much in advance.

Try going into menu-Windows-Workspace and select the timeline workspace.
The “Stage View” window should show the main camera view with the layer
thumbnails just a little to the left of that. If you don’t see the layers then there
should be a small button “<<” near the top of the window that you can click
to unhide the thumbnails of the layers.

Thank you for your reply, but I think there’s a misunderstanding:
in the stage view, everything is displayed alright. It’s the thumbnail view in which the thumbnail’s little sidebars, which would show the panel’s layers, are not visible. They do show only when I click on the arrow atop the thumbnail view so that it takes all the stage view’s place. But I need both views simultaneously, and both displaying their layer sidebar in order to do the drag and drop of bg drawings into various shots of a scene, as it is shown here in this tutorial video at about 3.05:

https://learn.toonboom.com/modules/how-to-draw-panels/topic/how-to-add-panels?c=3

Thank you very much

In the place where the timeline window normally sits, click the “+” icon at the top right of the
window and add the Thumbnails window if you don’t have it. This way you can switch between
the Thumbnail view and the timeline as needed by clicking on the tab.

Yes, I know that, but again, this is not the problem I have. The thumbnail view I can switch on alright. My problem is that on the side of each individual thumbnail there should be a side bar. This side bar should display all the layers that the panel represented in this thumbnail contains of. Were it there, then I could drag and drop layers (e.g. background drawings) from one panel’s side bar in the stage view down to each individual thumbnail’s side bar in the thumbnail view, as it is done in this tutorial at minute 3.05:
https://learn.toonboom.com/modules/how-to-draw-panels/topic/how-to-add-panels?c=3
however, In my thumbnail view these sidebars to each individual thumbnail are missing. I’d add a screenshot but don’t know how it’s done. All I can say is that there are no sidebars the thumbnails., just the thumbnails themselves.
Restoring the settings to default does not help.
I’m sure it’s just a matter of view or settings adjustment but I can’t figure it out by myself, so if there’s an answer to this please help.

Thank you very much in advance

Ok, I stumbled upon the answer, and in case someone else has this problem: By rearranging the spaces of the two view windows (namely by blowing up the thumbnail view a little at the expense of the stage view) the thumbnails layer tabs appeared. I guess this explains why returning to the default settings didn’t change a thing.
Again, thank you for your effort.

1 Like

thaaanks I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy!! thanks a lot :smiley:

Lol, I was just trying to solve the same problem.
Thank you for working it out!

Yep Me too, but that fixed it. Maybe they should change that

Bless you.

Thank you for following up on your own question. Your post is still helping years later!

Your reply is still helping here in 2022. Had same issue and solution is still not at all obvious. So yes, they should fix that.