The workflow

Well, after reading (and doing) the first two chapters of the tutorial at this adress, i came to some new questions: http://www.toonboom.com/pdf/product/tbs/TBSV35_QuickStartTutorial.pdf

I was told on this forum that the drawing view and the cells in the elements could be compared to the flash movieClip, and that they are not the actual animation. Tho in the tutorials after painting the drawings in the elements you were ready for export to movie? How come?

So for example if i want to create a cut-out character with different elements say on element of his hands, another for his head, a third one for his legs. I have 5 differents views of his hands, 5 differents head (moods), 5 differents leg positions, etc (makes 5 frames total) if i export to movie i will see hands and heads and legs changing from one frame to the next, while this is not my animation?

In the classical workflow what are the next steps after you create elements so that you position them to give a shape to the actual character then animate?

Thanks for helping

There are many possible work flows depending on the techniques employed. The basic work flow is to create drawing assets, cells created in drawing view, and then to composite those assets in camera view.

So in your example you create the parts of your puppet in drawing view and then “rig” the puppet in camera view. Now one concept often overlooked in puppet, cutout animation, is that the creation and rigging of the puppet is done as a preproduction step independent from using the puppet as your actor. So once the puppet’s assets are created and the puppet is “rigged”, you will want to place the puppet in your global library for future use. Then starting with a fresh scene or project you can bring the puppet into the scene and pose and animate him/her/it to produce a performance.

The dividing of the puppet character into parts is the first step in making a puppet. This is done in drawing view. Then connecting those parts into a rig for manipulation is the next step and is done in camera view where you create a parent child hierarchy using pegs. Once rigged, you have a usable puppet that becomes a library asset to be reused over and over if desired. The actual usage and animation of the puppet is done in a separate scene from the scene in which it was initially rigged, and in fact it can be a totally separate project for that matter. All projects can share assets through a global asset library. -JK

Great answer. Thanks JK