TBS vs. Bauhaus Mirage

I apologize in advance if this is not an appropriate topic.

I have not purchased any animation software yet but I will definitely do so shortly. I use iMovie in Apple for all my movie editing needs and I have outgrown it. I have purchased a Wacom Intuos3 digital tablet and know how to use it fairly well. Here’s my question:

Toon Boom Studio vs. Bauhaus Mirage? Fair comparison? Apples to apples?

I’m a novice so excuse me if my question shows my ignorance. I’ll learn quick. Whichever software I purchase, I plan to still use iMovie to create my movies, except now, I will add animation scenes, create entire animation movies, and add my own special effects to iMovie clips.

Howdy
Get them both (it’s only money). They would compliment each other nicely.
Toonboom does vector animation really well. Mirage (which used to be Aura) does pixels really well. It also does compositing and effects and lots of other things.
Go on. You know you want to.
Ken

Hi Allegro and welcome to this forum,

I’ve used Mirage and I think it’s a pretty nice software. In my opinion, where Mirage really shine is in the video and compositing (special effects) part of the workflow (this is usually the case with bitmap softwares). They have some great special effects modules and the brush system is nice but the animation side of Mirage is, in my opinion, far behind Toon Boom’s solutions.

It will take you much more effort and talent to create the same piece of animation in Mirage then Toon Boom Studio. Toon Boom Studio is a dedicated animation software and has advance feature such as automated lip syncing, auto gap closing and a 3D scene planning.

Honestly, if you are looking for an all in one solution, Mirage would do a good job but if you are already using iMovie for video/special effects and looking for a nice and easy animation software to add to your work flow then Toon Boom Studio is the best choice for sure (it’s also less then half the price).

This is my honest opinion. I hope it will help you get the software you need.

BTW, both have trials available so go on and start Tooning !

Cheers,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it very much. You and your technical support staff have been very helpful in addressing my needs.

I also like to mix live action with animation by taking an iMovie clip (.DV or .MOV file) and adding animation to it, in addition to just pure animation. That might be a bit more difficult proposition for Toon Boom Studios.