TBS v4 working really slowly

Hi all.

I have a new macbookpro running TBS v4. I started my first animation last week which was going really well but the other day it started to become very slow and now is crashing. Any click can take upto 10 seconds to react which is really frustrating me. I have 2gb of memory and over 40gb of harddrive space. If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

Thanks, Jon.

Hi Jon,

This might be related to the weight of the scene. Are you working in a single scene are are you splitting your work in multiple ones? Also, do you work with pencil mostly or with brush?

If pencil try converting your elements into brush (Convert Line to Brush tool). Pencil lines are actually much heavier on the machine the brush and when you have a lot of those in a scene you may experience slowdowns.

If you are still having difficulties you can always send us the project in question and we will look at what could be in cause. Simply send it at techsupport@toonboom.com.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I have only just started on the project so all I have is one scene, one panning background and one pegged character(not animated). Its not heavy at all. I use a brush but I did import and vectorise a large jpeg for the background.

I tried increasing the memory usage in the TBS prefs which helped a bit but its still very slow.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

If you don’t mind much I would really like to give a look to the scene to see if something else could be in cause.

Also do you experience the same type of behavior in other new scenes?

Best regards,

Ugo

Hello again

I tried a new project with a TBS character template and it worked fine, strange.

I will start again and see how I get on.

Thanks for your help.

Jon

As a general rule it is better to use an image element and not vectorize complex or very large raster images. The vectorization process of these types of images produces upwards of thousands of vector points and creates a huge processor load as well as increases your final file size. The vectorize with textures command is an alternative to full vectorization and it produces fewer vector points but unless you need that specific feature then I suggest you use an image element and just import your images that way. Also it is usually a good idea to convert raster images to a more web friendly format like gif or png. I hope this provides you some additional information. -JK