TBS v.4 Question about Feather Edges

From the promo and the new features pages, Feather edges can blur the edges and make glows.

Will the effect be able to be added to the Masking effect so that masks can have soft edges? Same for the Drop shadow effect, can soft edges be used on them for soft shadows?

This would be so cool, because if the Feather Edges can be used on top of, for example, Drop Shadows, I could then create a drop shadow and line it up so that it is just "behind the figure, use Feather Edges on the Shadow and then the figure would have a kind of “aura.” This could open the door for a lot of visual things, especially for Fantasy/Sci-Fi and Super-Hero type thingies.

I don’t know the answer to your question. But I’ll tell you one thing about blurs that I’m really excited about and that is the ability do smears. One of the most difficult techniques in limited animation to do in vector based software is paint smears. It can be done in a tedious way using transparent brush strokes but it should be significantly faster and easier using a blur tool in conjunction with those transparent brush strokes. I can hardy wait to try it out. -JK

Oh yeah, smears. A nice toasty bagel with cream cheese –

Um, too close to breakfast ;D

The blur effect is one I can’t wait to use and abuse (when no one’s looking, of course. heh.). Also if the blur can be adjusted over time (which should be the case), the smear can really rock!

I really wish that we could get teasers from above about the new v.4 features in action. I wonder what the fire in the Mike the Ant tutorial could look like with a feather edge on the fire? And added to his run (smearing the legs as he frantically runs).

Like you, I can’t wait until I’m able to play around with v.4!

Can anyone post a link to what a feathered edge might look like?

Somehow I can’t wrap my mind around feathered + vector!

I’ve been searching the web without finding anything useful.

thanks,

Paz

Here is an example from a recent newsletter:
http://mmail.toonboom.com/link.php?URL=aHR0cDovL3d3dy50b29uYm9vbS5jb20vaW1nL2Fkdi9hdWd1c3QyMDA3L1NUVXY0X3NjcmVlbl9mZWF0aGVyLmpwZw%3D%3D&Name=&EncryptedMemberID=MTkwMTcy&CampaignID=159&CampaignStatisticsID=159&Demo=0&Email=kirlin@lasalle.edu
Hope it helps

Oh, WOW!

Thank you, kdog!

Now I’m sorry I let the promotional discount expire! You’d think ToonBoom would have given a few more hints toward what the upgrades actually are. (Or perhaps I’m such a newbie that I don’t understand what everyone else already knows.)

By the way, to post a link that will not break forum formatting, type

EXCEPT - use < and > instead of [ and ]

Next question, How much does using a feathered vector increase file size?

Paz

Well, maybe not on the < and >

My bold formatting did not work. Maybe forum members are not allowed to use html.

I can’t speak exactly for how a blur, or glow is implemented in V4.
We will all have to wait for the release.
But I can give you a conceptual explanation that should help you visualize it.

If you took a shape and outlined that shape with another shape just slightly larger.
And you adjusted the alpha property of that outline shape’s fill so that it is slightly transparent.
Then you outlined that outline shape and adjusted the alpha property of that shape’s fill to be more transparent.
And you did this for several more outline shapes each getting more transparent then you will have a blur etc.

The amount of file overhead would depend on the number of outline shapes used and the width of each outline in pixels (the degree of blur so to speak).
The more blur applied the more overhead etc.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of the way a blur can be created. -JK

That does make sense, JK.

Sounds like someone had a stroke of genius.

These examples are all great, but for me blurring will really help the most with depth of field effects. That’s when you can really start to experiment with achieving cinematic details. Farther away things would be blurred, increasing the perceived sharpness of the items closer to the camera and in focus.

Very cool stuff, I can’t wait to try.
–Will