TBS slow w/ intricate drawing

I posted this last week w/ no response, so will try again. One of my students is creating an intricate drawing, which causes TBS to slow down to an unendurable pace. By slow I mean watching the spinning kaleidescope for many seconds upon changing colors, selecting a different window, loading or saving the project, and the entire project so far consists only of 1 drawing element w/ 1 cell! We’re using an iMac 1.83GHz PowerPc w/ 512MB memory. She used the pencil tool rather than the brush in an attempt to minimize file size. Any idea what the problem could be? Would more memory solve the problem? This is the first time any of my students has managed to slow down TBS w/ their work.

Hi Rattlebrain,

Sorry if we were not able to answer yet. The pencil line is not actually lighter then the brush line depending on how you use it. If you are currently using Toon Boom Studio v3.5 I would strongly advice you to try to change the drawing done in pencil line to brush line and try to work with the project again.

Also, would it be possible to provide us a screenshot of the camera view and a screenshot of the drawings in stroke mode(press K). This will give us an idea of the amount of element involved.

If you can’t manage to upload them on the forum you can send them directly to techsupport@toonboom.com.

Best regards,

Ugo

Good news, We have worked on some performance improvement (on Mac PowerPC only). In the mean time, you should disable the anti aliasing, this will probably help a lot.

Go to Toon Boom Studio 3.5 Menu => Preferences.

Go to the Display tab, un check the box at the bottom that says Full Scene Anti aliasing.

Then restart the application.

Let us know if that helps.

Cheers,

Thanks for your help! We’re trying your suggestions!