TBS 5.0 Crashing & Workspaces not saving

I’ve had TBS 5.0 for just under a week. And I’ve had 5 crashes now. I also noticed not all my ‘workspace’ saves are actually saving everything.

My computer:
MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Leopard 10.5.8
(Basic installation, no unusual graphic programs or startup programs)

Details:
The crashes happened 3x during renders and 2x during a copy/paste of a keyframe. For the most part it runs fine, and the crashes occurred near each other. I also noticed that on loading files the dialog box texts are sometimes missing or ‘scrunched.’ Not sure if this applies though.

So am just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or has any thoughts on possible fixes. I’ll send a report to tech support but as the don’t open for some hours, I figured I’d try here first.

Hi,

It really depends on what is in your project. My guess are that the amount of data that you are trying to render or copy exceed the memory you had available on the machine which ended up crashing the software.

Regards,

Ugo

It was my concern as well. Roughly speaking:

I have 4gb of memory + 512mb graphics card memory.
The project had about 2mb of png files. 3 scenes, roughly 700kb per scene.

This doesn’t seem like too much to me, or am I wrong?

Hi,

It may have something to do with the amount of of pencil lines you have used and the amount of bitmap in the project. If you did use pencil/line/circle/rectangle a lot in the project you may want to convert all those lines to Brush as this should help a lot during the render.

Best regards,

Ugo

That’s a good thought. Alas, this particular project is made up solely of imported png files from photoshop cs4. I didn’t create any elements within Toon Boom.

Hi,

Bitmap can be quite heavy in memory. Even though the files are compressed we need to uncompress them to have them in vector boxes. Make sure that you do not use bitmap of resolution higher then what is needed, and you could actually try to reduce the resolution on some less important part to lighten up the project.

Best regards,

Ugo

Will do,

Thanks!