TB4 crashing on swf export

hi all -

did an import of eleven swf files into separate scenes in order to render a single stream and file. When i try to create the swf output file, TB4 runs up to 100% then crashes … tried a number of things, like rebooting, running it with nothing else in memory and not running the player after execution but nothing works. looked at the dumps that were generated but they tell me nothing … anyone have any ideas? thanks, dan

Hi pat,

Are you able to preview the animation?

Also does it crash before you see the progress bar or only at a specific place reached in the progress bar?

If Toon Boom Studio gets over 100% of your memory the only way I can see to fix this would be to increase the amount of Virtual Memory on your machine (swap space on the hard drive to compensate for Ram). You can get that done on Windows by going to the Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Performance button>Advanced tab>Change button in Virtual memory section. There put Custom side and and try to put 4000+ as initial size and same for maximum. This is space on your hard drive that will be kept to compensate for ram. I think the maximum that can be allocated for a single application under windows XP is 4000 but I can’t quite guarantee.

In any case this may help so it is worth trying.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo -

The export goes through the entire 100% on the slide bar … then 10 secs, TB shuts itself down (the drawing view closes first then the rest of the program). Right after that, vista indicates the program has stopped working and gives me the ‘cancel to close program’ message … i went in to control panel, changed the paging to 4k, rebooted, same result. changed it to 9500, rebooted, same result … changed it to system manage, rebooted and same result… i have dumps if you or someone on the tech team wishes to review them … i am really at a loss over this … any ideas on what to try next? thanks, dan

Hi,

Dumps wouldn’t be of much help to me but are you putting all of the swf in a single scene or are you making multiple ones. If you want we can always try to give it a try here. Let us know and I will setup a private link to upload the file.

Regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo -

each imported swf is in its own scene … I went back and started a new file and am in the process of adding each swf in one at a time then exporting to see if it is a swf causing the problem or the size or something beyond my imagination …so far i am up to scene 7 of 11 and it is exporting out fine so far … maybe the original one got somehow corrupted - i went over to my xp pc and did the changes to the paging and got the same results of it crashing once it hit 100% and that was using vers 3 of tb … I will let you know the results when all have been added back in …thanks, dan

Hi Ugo -

Finally got the export to work … it was crashing on the last scene- it was 46megs, 6200 frames … i ended up breaking it up into three scenes … I can get the export out and everything looks good through the playback… however, when i go to the folder where the file i created is located and click on the file name the playback has the voices out of sync … seems like the voices are running at a different speed than the video … like i said, the TB playback, everything is synced fine - but during the playback from the created file, it is out of sync … any ideas? thanks, dan

Hi Pat,

It might be related to how you broke your last scene. Did you break that scene in in middle of sounds or did you manage to cut it after/before all sounds?

Once again make sure that all the sounds are streamed (they might end up unchecked over the transfer from one scene to another).

Also I just want to make sure I did understand correctly. Basically everything is in sync when you watch inside Toon Boom Studio but the final render is out of sync?

Regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo -

that is correct, the playback inside toonboom plays perfectly … it is the exported file that when I click on it that the sounds become out of sync … and it not just the last scene, it is all of them … the sounds are broken out accordingly, each within its own scene … i am at a loss as to what could cause this as there are not settings for the swf export that i can find that could cause this issue … any ideas? thanks, dan

Hi Dan,

Nothing really comes to my mind. I would have to see the project itself. By the way are you getting the same offset in sound when you export only part of the animation instead of the full scene?

Regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo -

that is the strange part … i can export each scene out as a single file and they play correctly … when i do all the scenes together, the voices are off … right now, i can’t even get the entire stream out as TB is back to crashing right after the slide bar hits 100% … to my knowledge, aside from selecting each scene and outputting them, nothing has changed… very frustrating … hope you can shine some light in my direction on this or suggest another way I can take all the swf files and bring them together into one stream without using QT (as the audio seems to fade in and out when I go that route) … I am using TB4, but wonder if tb3 could handle a thirteen scene file and how much free disk space would it require to page properly? thanks, dan

Hi Dan,

I guess 4 Gig should be already but now I am wondering, how much hard drive space do you have left on your machine.

I am setting up an ftp link for you to upload the project for the might be stuff in there that I am missing at the moment which could help on defining what is the cause of all this. I will send it to you by e-mail so you can send the project.

Best regards,

Ugo