tablet question

Hi,

I work with a Cintiq to storyboard, great tool for on your desk but not so OK to be drawing out of office (train, meetings… ect) with all those cables…

Is there any solid and affordable (Modbook is a bit expensive, and I’m not a Mac user ) tablet on the market yet, that works perfectly with Storyboard Pro ? Or is there something coming soon that you know of ? (Read that in 2011 a lot of new w7 tablets will hit the market - wondering if any of those will have pressure sensitive pens…)
Is Toonboom aware of such a device coming soon ?

Much Thanks,
Joeri

www.THURISTAR.com
www.850meters.com :slight_smile:

Hi Lily,
Just thought I would chime about the tablet/SBP issue.

I recently bought an Asus 12" tablet. I’m fine with everything in SBP (although i wish they left the the right click tools pop up menu as it was in 1.8). There is indeed an issue with the graphics card. Every time I try to draw a line there is a delay that messes up my drawing. Same thing on my almost two year old mac mini. SBPro 2 has been somewhat of a waste of money for me as I’m unable to use it. Total bummer, because 1.8 allowed me to crank on Alvin and the Chipmunks 3. The tool set is better in 2 for sure, but too many graphics cards are cancelled out. I"m starting on a new film where I’m working on a Disney summer blockbuster to come out in two years and I want to use 2 on my tablet, but I can’t. Total fail. To be able to use it i have to buy an entirely new computer for another couple of grand. Instead I’ll be using Photoshop and learning After Effects. Kind of a bummer.

The biggest problem with tablets atm is the screen size, and raw grunt.
I have an hp tablet with a bunch of excellent features but with a propensity for hardware meltdown, it works nicely (when it works) with storyboard pro but I cant recommend it for hardware reliability factors.
I recently got an asus ep 121 which I can recommend for use with SP pro 2 ( its really great once you sort out the pen drivers) but does have a problem when the soundtrack gets long.
If only a truly large screen full featured tablet with heaps of disk space, mega graphics chip and huge ram was developed specifically for graphics pros, then we could all be happy.
Actually to the dev team, on the topic of the tablet and storyboard pro, I am finding the licence return mechanism a little clunky and time consuming, is there any way to streamline this process, it is a real pain atm?

That actually helped a bit (turning off Aero). I didn’t know about that since I’m new to windows (more of a Mac user). Is there anything else I should know about Windows and SBP 2? I’ve turned off Wintab Support. I tried turning off Open GL, but then turned it back on.

The Asus has pressure sensitivity, but I’m not getting it in SBP. I get it in photoshop and it’s pretty good, especially after playing with the Wacom pen driver.
I’m still getting a bit of “sticking” when I draw, especially when I draw small objects (ie eyes which are important to get right). When I draw bigger it’s less of an issue. I used to get this on the mac machine I was using at Warner Bros and the techies weren’t sure why. I would put the pen down and start to draw, but there would be a lag that would cause the line to feel like it was “sticking”.

Sorry Lilly I have to strongly disagree with you there, it is not a snap at all , it is VERY inconvenient and I already do have the licence number as a txt on the desktop. Tablets are useful to rush out to meetings, so the whole concept of their use is about convenience and portability, the current return system has to be implemented on BOTH computers which is both time consuming and clumsy. I hate to say it Lilly but in practise that’s just how it is I think one purchase should bear a license for 2 computers.

Lily, I have another question for you…My Mac mini is running the Nvidia Gforce 9400 video card. I’ve noticed a bit of lag in SBPro2 on the mac mini. Is there anyway to get around that too?

Question 2: How do I delete the tablet preferences. Tablet preferences in Toon Boom? I have the Wacom driver installed and not using the generic one when using Photoshop, SBP, etc.

Is the tablet input panel the one that uses “flick”, etc.?

Thanks for your help.

I know that there are people out there who have used Tablet computers before. I just caution that there are a few things to watch out for. First of all, make sure that it has a good graphics card inside - you don’t want to be pulling your hair out with an Integrated Intel graphics card for example. Also check the screen resolution. If it has a smaller than recommended screen resolution, some menus may be cut off and it may be harder to work (though not strictly impossible).

~Lilly

If you’re using Windows 7 or Vista, I’d at least try to turn off the Aero theme on the desktop first. Just right-click on the desktop and select a Basic theme instead of Aero. It might help with this issue.

If not, then I’m sorry for your decision. You’ll just have to see whether the time spent is worth the price difference of a new computer, which to me it would be - but that’s entirely up to your discretion, naturally.

~Lilly

I’d say the most important thing to watch out for with TabletPCs is the graphics card, because most of them still have onboard graphics cards. But naturally, there are many factors to take into consideration when buying a computer.

There’s no way to streamline the process of returning and taking the license again, but one thing I could recommend is if there’s a safe text file where you can save your license number, then you can just copy and paste this number in when you switch computers. This should make it a snap, really.

~Lilly

If you’re not getting pressure sensitivity then try deleting the Tablet Preferences and relaunching the application. Make sure that you have the Wacom tablet driver installed, and that you’re not using the generic Windows one.

Another thing that I usually turn off on Windows when I’m drawing is that pesky little tablet input panel thing that hides itself on the side of the screen, right where the toolbar is. You can disable this to get it out of the way.

~Lilly

Just want to be clear - the Mac mini is running MacOS X? The 9400 isn’t the best card, but it should be sufficient. When you’re looking at numbers of NVidia cards, the 400-part indicates the quality of that card, and the 9 is the generation. So in other words, you’d be better off with an 8700 than a 9400.

On Mac, there are no nifty tricks for making it speed up that I know of. You can double-check with support@toonboom.com. I’d just make sure that I had the most up-to-date drivers for the Mac, and that I’ve run all the software updates, but that’s pretty much it.

For Question 2, are we back to talking about Windows now or are we talking about Mac? On Mac, the Tablet properties are in the System Preferences window. On Windows, the Tablet properties utility can be found through the Start menu when you’ve installed the driver. Start > Programs > Wacom Tablet Utility and then delete tablet preferences.

Hope this helps!

~Lilly