Tablet and software compatibility

Hi all… New guy and so miserable. I have been studying lessons for weeks and ready to play. I bought WACOM bamboo Play tablet Medium size and it was horrible! I could not access my whole software screen. I use a 20" monitor and my pen would not allow me to use any area but the top left area of about 10" down and 11" across. I could not get over to my library area, time line or any lower areas below etc…
Although my monitor is filled with software work area tablet would only access half. So I would select a brush or pen and as far as picking tips—Fat chance! Needed to use mouse. the whole thing seemed un-calibrated.
I took it back after trying it for 3 weeks and the final straw was the pen would draw off my monitor 6" or so below my screen. ( When I was trying to draw in top left hand corner in a 4"x4" area.)
I would then have to use my mouse to scroll up and find it. What tablets are you guys using ??? Any special admin adjustments you are doing? I spent 200 on the tablet and returned as I was not impressed. And could not find customer support or was never got back to. Help me if you can
Thanks in advance for any links or replies or suggestions
Regards
Si
I googled with no luck so I came here for some help with the folks are using the same software.

Lilly,
Thanks for the reply–Yes I dloaded and updated current drivers. I did open properties and checked whatever it was in there, Don’t have it anymore though.

i am using wacom bamboo touch. the only problem i have encountered sometimes the driver goes unrecongnized and something similar to what you experienced happens to me, but all i do then is restart my computer and it gets sorted. might indeed be a driver’s issue… best of luck!

Thanks amini—I think you may be right on drivers and compatibility. I was hoping some more people would chime in with what they are using. I cannot believe they are using a mouse to draw? No tip sensitivity-- ya know? I emailed bamboo, but no answer.
Regards
Si

I’m using an Intuos3 A4 with two 19" monitors. I have it set up to work with the primary monitor only so that I can keep the 1:1 mapping ratio. I use a smart key to toggle the pad between the two monitors. Works pretty well since I became proficient with Animate’s rotate feature.

The only thing that I have problems with is drawing circles. Believe me when I say that is not the pad’s fault.

Thanks for your input MDhender—I was hoping to find a tablet that did not require a PHD in software interfaces to yet learn another software program to draw with.
I am sure after setting up your monitor(s) and smart key it is elementary now. Thanks for letting me know about the intuos as I was thinking about that one to get; but not if I have to hack it to use it. Is there a plug and play tablet that works with animate? Or is that why Animate is not so preferred?
I would have to think that an Artist does not have to be a computer Guru to use this stuff or to access their whole screen via a tablet?
Si

I just bought a Wacom Intous 4 which I intend to use for Animate 2 on a Mac. But the wheel to the left of the tablet will not work properly. I can’t use it to zoom nor to rotate the canvas. In fact it doesn’t work at all. Is that known problem or is there some way to get it to work.
Regards CGAN

Thanks Lilly. It works.
Regards

You need to install the drivers of any tablet that you purchase in order for that tablet to function properly. The drivers that Windows install by default are not those that were created by the manufacturer of the device. The Windows drivers will allow you to use the stylus to move the cursor around the screen, and to click, but if you want to use additional functionality that’s built into that device then you need to download the software for that device. If you really want to have good hardware performance, you should always install the software recommended by the manufacturer of the hardware.

I know that----Thanks It is even wise to go to the manufacturers website to get the latest drivers too!
Cgan Thanks for hijacking my thread

So I still have not Tablet to use this software with.
Having hot keys is fine but don’t you think that one should be able to access their whole monitor screen when using a tablet?
Not half of your screen before the Stylus goes off the pad…

I mean it would be nice to access the time line below and pick a brush size out. without creating a hot key for each function needed.

I’ve seen loads of people who have used the Bamboo tablets successfully. Did you download the proper driver from the Wacom website or did you leave it using the default Windows driver? You definitely need to download the Wacom driver. Then you can go into the Wacom Tablet Properties from the Start menu to modify the properties of the tablet.

~Lilly

You need to install the drivers of any tablet that you purchase in order for that tablet to function properly. The drivers that Windows install by default are not those that were created by the manufacturer of the device. The Windows drivers will allow you to use the stylus to move the cursor around the screen, and to click, but if you want to use additional functionality that’s built into that device then you need to download the software for that device. If you really want to have good hardware performance, you should always install the software recommended by the manufacturer of the hardware. :slight_smile:

~Lilly

What you need to do is go into the Wacom tablet driver for the tablet, then you can assign shortcut keys to the wheel. You can set it to zoom in and out with 1 and 2 (Animate default shortcuts, they’ll be different if you’re on Flash shorcuts). Or you can have it rotate your canvas if you set shortcuts to those commands in your Animate Preferences and then assign those shortcuts to your tablet.

~Lilly

You can access the whole screen with your tablet… Are you not able to?

~Lilly