Switching to Mac?

I just purchased ToonBoomStudio Express for Windows after playing with the demo for a while. I don’t plan to stick with the Windows platform for too long, so my question is can I use my license on a Mac if I decide to switch…or on both if I get two computers, one of each (of course, running one at a time…I’m only one person after all :slight_smile: ).

Ragnar

Good questions because I’m considering buying a Mac myself and currently own the PC version. Hmmm…maybe a cusotmer service rep would help answer that.

I have tbs 3 and bought the back up disc. The system requirements list both Windows and Mac OS. I had originally purchased the windows version but switched to mac. I am not certain that you would receive anything different if you were to order one or the other. All of the material that is included with the disc includes both mac and windows instructions.

Hi,

Since the release of Toon Boom Studio v3.5 the license is hybrid from Mac to PC so the license can be used with both version. As for the software in question you can download both version directly from our Member section under My Products.

Even though it might be written Mac or PC if you click the download link you will have access to both versions.

Best regards,

Ugo

I bought Toon Boom Studio v3 for Windows, and I try to run the Toon Boom Studio v3 for Mac which downloads from my license products, it need a product license key after installed, but my existing key do not work. Can I use a Windows version 3 product license key in Mac version 3?

Regards,
Iamanhk

Hi,

To do so you will need to contact one of our sales clerk. You can do so by sending an e-mail to sales@toonboom.com.

Simply explain the situation and it should be addressed shortly after.

Best regards,

Ugo

Dear Ugo,

I have submited the request to the mail box a week ago, but I do not receive any reply yet. Do you know another way to get my Mac key?

I very appreciate your help anyways. Thanks!

Regards,
Iamanhk

If you go to the members area where you downloaded your licensed copy for the Mac there should be a license key posted by the Mac version. But you only have cross platform privileges on a single license with version 3.5 not version 3. At least that’s my understanding from reading Ugo’s posts here on the forums. -JK

so there are two keys for a single v3.5, one for the windows, one for the mac platform, am i right? i intend to go mac too in a while.
cheers,
rob

Not that it really matters, Rob, but I’m not sure that is true. V3.5 may only have one license key but you can use the same key on both Mac and PC. V3.0 definitely requires two separate keys. We use both Mac and PC versions in our studio but we also have multiple licenses from the fact that we started out in earlier versions and just continued to upgrade. I think the plan with the release of 3.5 was to make both platform versions available to a single user on a single license with the intent of letting them use one system at a time of the platform of their choosing. I believe if a group of people wanted to use a single license and run multiple copies of TBS at the same time that would require multiple licenses. I just know that for us we have separate license keys for each copy of TBS that we own and we only use them on a single machine each. We could also discuss the relative merits of the conversion of the Euro to the Yen to Dollars which I’m sure is equally interesting. :stuck_out_tongue:

jk,
it may not be interesting for other users, but it was interesting for me, because i intend to remain with win v3.5 on my desktop and to go mac, when mobile.
thanks for the information, anyway.
cheers,
rob

JK,

I just upgrade my TBS v3 to 3.5, you are right, one key can work on Mac and PC. Thanks!

Regards,
iamanhk

Hi iamanhk,

Sorry I couldn’t reply any time sooner. Indeed the key for V3.5 is now hybrid so you can use it on both Mac and PC. The downloader is also available for both versions in your My Products section when you access the Download link (be aware that even though it is said Mac or PC version by the download this only mean that you have checked Mac or PC when ordering).

Best regards,

Ugo