.swf brush stroke sizes: /actual/ issue, or am I just complaining?

The brush strokes drawn in the screenshot .png below are set between sizes 1 - 14, texture for opacity control is on. I couldn’t post the actual link for the swf movie test, so I attached a screenshot of it instead, below.

Do they seem thinner to you inside toonboom? And maybe significantly thicker in the actual .swf? I’ve /actually/ exported the .swf, even cleaned up and converted it to an mp4 through Swivel and it’s still very much like that.

Is this just a preference thing? Am I just complaining from a personal standpoint or am I getting something wrong in Toonboom? I very much do want to have them as thin in the .swf result as they’re shown in the software, is there any way I can do this?

Alrighty, vector to bitmap, I understand now, thank you.

Problem, I infact /don’t/ have Antialiasing checked in my preferences. I should be able to control it’s settings under “OpenGL”, right? Or is there some other area I’m not aware of… Because “Real-Time Antialiasing” and “Full Scene Antialiasing” are both unchecked, not enabled whatsoever. I export or do SWF tests, and come out with same dissimilarity between the drawings… Is it possible you could figure out and explain why it’s still like this? It’s been a real ugly problem for me.
You seem very well informed about this stuff, thank you for taking the time to help me.

Hi everyone,

What the SWF export does is it actually preserves the vector lines, so they are in fact not “rendered”, as rendered usually describes a process whereby the vector lines are converted to bitmaps.

However what does happen is the vector drawings are converted from Toon Boom format into Flash format. It is possible that the vectors do not display exactly the same width, but this is indeed the first time I have heard that. When I ran some tests here myself, using the brush tool, the vectors did work the same.

Are you by chance working with Antialiasing on in your preferences? If so, then the OpenGL view of Animate Pro will be doing a bit of a render, which could cause the discrepancy.

-Lilly

When you click on the render button (little blue flower above timeline) do the lines look the same as the SWF movie test?

I wonder whether the thinner appearance is just because it has not been rendered yet and it is in a preliminary form so it can be worked on with the visual representation being generated by the Open GL video card until it is ready for formal rendering?

When you created the TB project file was the target output resolution set to a web/swf?

Actually no, they’re different. They look as thin as they do in the normal camera stage. Isn’t the render button supposed to give you a preview of how it would look, finalized in the .swf?

Sorry, I don’t quite understand… I’m new to toonboom and all but I’ll try hard to grasp what you said… So the thin appearance might really just be some 1rst stage form before it’s officially rendered? And the Swf Movie Test illustration is how thick they’d really be? Even if the brush is set to 1?(Because I’ve seen toonboom animations with a lot thinner linework)

What do you mean target output resolution? You mean the settings that come up before exporting it to an .swf? Or the prompt before you create a new project and its resolution settings–width and height and aspect ratio and all that? Because I have that personally set to w640 h360, FPS24, aspect ratio 1.78, for Youtube. I’m sorry, is this information of any help?

Anyone? ; n ;

Hey Lily, are you there? I think I’ve figured out what the problem really is.

I think this piece of info might provide some insight on what exactly I’m dealing with, maybe you’ll know how to handle it better. I believe that when I export it, or run an .swf test, it doesn’t register any enabled brush texture. You see, this is what I think makes the linework appear thinner in the software and stage than in it’s final exported product. I had a hunch, so in curiosity, I changed the brush ratio to a much larger 20min;22max size so if it were, I could see the discrepancy for sure. I drew up one average brush stroke in black, and then I enabled texture for the next stroke. My settings for texturing: 0.1min;1max opacity, 1 hardness, 8 texture size. I had no particular texture attached. I drew another clean vertical line beside the first one, it definitely appeared thinner, and looked more smoothed out than it’s counterpart, not as bold, and less jagged, like vector to bitmap. It even tapered out into an opacity fade. I ran an .swf movie test, and the thinner, lighter brush stroke I drew with the textures enabled appeared EXACTLY like the one I plainly drew, raw. Even the little tapered edge fades the second line had didn’t go through. Maybe there’s an easier solution now that we know the /real/ problem? Have you got anything? Sorry for asking so much of you, I’ve seen you around these forums, you’re very helpful.