Suggestions on animating cut out characters

I wanted to know the best technique when animating a characters head. I am currently using a drawing with one cell as the front of the face, the second cell is a ¾ view, and the third cell is a side view. Doing this I have to have the eyes for all of the head views on one different symbol. But it becomes annoying when I have to scroll through so many eyes just to find the eyes I need and it’s the same case for the mouth. Is there a more efficient way I may be over looking.

Thank you

Yes it does thank you very much. You should get a raise

Hey Lilly,

Did you happen to see my post RE: Animating eyes within a head symbol?

What are your thoughts on this?

Michael

Hey Lilly,

Did you happen to see my post RE: Animating eyes within a head symbol?

What are your thoughts on this?

Michael

well one thing you can do is make use of the template library to save poses that you want to reuse. Let’s say that you set up the 3/4 pose with all the layers, if you select those cells on the right side of the timeline and drag them to your library, this saves what we call an Action Template, and you can drag and drop this back onto the right-side of the timeline on any cell and it will substitute all the drawings (and keyframes) that you had on the original action template.

You can do this partially as well, just create an action template for the head, for example, to switch it from 3/4 to side, that way it will switch all the layers at once.

Just remember that when you drag the action template back onto the library, you can hold down the Control key to bring up your paste special options. In the advanced tab, you can either choose to modify your drawings, or your keyframes, or both. In your situation, you probably want to just modify the drawings without the keyframes, so you can uncheck all the keyframe options.

Once you modify the paste special options for a drag and drop, it remembers those options for the next time you do a drag, so if you ever get stuck and can’t figure out why your drag options aren’t doing what you want, just hold down Ctrl and adjust them again.

Hope this helps!

~Lilly

Hi Michael,

Do you mind posting a link to the other thread? I try to make my way through all the threads every day but if I miss one it’s hard for me to find it. Point me in the right direction and I’ll give you my thoughts!

~Lilly